My parents are visiting at the moment, from Tasmania. They don’t come to visit often so I wanted to do some baking before hand to have some special treats available to enjoy. So before their arrival I spent a couple of days baking in preparation for their arrival. For Mum I decided to make white chocolate mud cupcakes with raspberry curd topped with white chocolate ganache, more on those in a future post.
Dad loves dark chocolate and so does my boyfriend T, so I decided to treat them both by making chewy double chocolate cookies. I’ve made these before with smarties when we had the boys visit, but this time I decided to add macadamia nuts and splash of bourbon whiskey, which I knew T would love. The addition of bourbon wasn’t obvious, which was a good thing since my Dad doesn’t drink, but it added a slight tobacco flavour to the cookies.
The beauty of these cookies is that they are quick and easy to make and even quicker to bake. The only problem is stopping at one……
Chewy Double Chocolate Bourbon and Macadamia Nut Cookies
150g of dark chocolate, broken into pieces
50g of butter, cut into cubes
50g of plain flour
1/4 tsp of baking powder
250g of caster sugar
1 tsp of vanilla essence
100g of dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup of macadamias chopped
2 tablespoons of bourbon whiskey
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Melt the chocolate pieces and butter in the microwave or one the stove top and allow to cool.
3. In a mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence until thick and pale.
4. Pour the melted chocolate into the beaten eggs and sugar and stir through before adding the bourbon.
5. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir through before adding the chopped chocolate, chopped macadamias and mix until combined.
6. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture onto the lined baking trays. The cookies will flatten out when baked.
7. Bake in the oven for 8 to 9 minutes and cool on the tray before transferring to a cooling rack. If you put the cookies onto the cooling rack while hot they will become marked by the wires from the rack.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Subscribe and receive the latest recipes via email and your FREE guide to my vegetarian pantry essentials.