As I mentioned in my Five For Friday post last week, each year I eagerly anticipate the arrival of the Gourmet Traveller annual French issue. I’ve wanted to visit France for as long as I can remember, and while I haven’t been lucky enough to make that a reality yet, I take whatever I can get. Whether that be day dreaming as I flick through the pages of a magazine and dream of visiting a beautiful French chateau or drooling over delicious French recipes. This years issue was filled to the brim with absolutely delicious French recipes, many of which I have bookmarked to try, however the first I chose to make was these beautiful dark Chocolate Pots de Creme as I’d picked up some wonderful dark couveture chocolate from Cocoa Chocolat on Monday that I was just itching to use.
I’ve made Chocolate Pots de Creme previously, however this version is a little different as it doesn’t require any baking. The result is that these little pots of chocolatey goodness are deliciously fudgey, and almost truffle like. To pair with this decadent treat I wanted something to cut the richness and chose to poach some beautiful cherries I’d picked up at the markets in red wine and cinnamon. The end result was decadent, divine and delicious!
So tell me, is there anywhere you’ve dreamed of visiting? Have you been lucky enough to get there yet and did it live up to your expectations?
- 250ml pouring cream
- 250ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 4 egg yolks
- 80g raw caster sugar
- 300g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped
- RED WINE POACHED CHERRIES:
- 200g sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- 250ml red wine
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon quill
- Combine the milk, cream and vanilla bean seeds in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a boil. While the cream mixture is coming to a boil whisk the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale. Switch the mixer to it's slowest speed and add the cream slowly. When combined return the mixture to the saucepan and place over a medium heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon thickly, around 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and whisk to combine. Divide the mixture between 6 glasses or jars and refrigerate for 3 hours to set.
- To make the poached cherries combine the red wine, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer and simmer for 10 minutes before adding the cherries and simmering for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and place into a jar or sealed container until ready to serve.