When I was little I absolutely hated dark chocolate. My Dad absolutely adored dark chocolate though, and once when he was eating some I asked to try some, and when I did I quickly spat it back out. To my immature taste buds it lacked the sweetness of the milk chocolate I loved, and seemed bitter. Luckily for Dad, as my brother didn’t like it either, it meant his treat was never at risk of sneaky little fingers.
Fast forward to now and I can’t stand milk chocolate. It seems far too sweet and lacks the richness of flavour of dark chocolate that I now love. My favourite thing to do, after I’ve cleaned up from dinner is to sit down with a cup of tea and a square or two of dark chocolate. I savour each piece and love letting the chocolate slowly melt on my tongue. Simple pleasures!
So, given my love of chocolate, when I’m wanting to bake a treat, more often than not, chocolate is going to be involved. For this treat dark chocolate is paired with beautifully sweet and tart raspberries that I picked up the other day at a street stall.
I know cupcakes are supposedly out of fashion, but I don’t care. I think they are cute and there’s always something so decadent about having a whole mini cake to yourself..or maybe even two 😉
So tell me, are you a milk, dark or white chocolate lover? Has that changed over the years?
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- 155g of butter, chopped into cubes
- 3 eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 120g almond meal
- 100g plain (all purpose) flour
- 60 ml coconut milk
- ¼ cup of raspberries, plus 12 raspberries to top the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 160 celsius (325 fahrenheit) and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with liners.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a small heat proof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, flour and almond meal and stir to combine. Add the eggs, coconut milk and chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Finally add the raspberries.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake liners and top each with a raspberry. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just set.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Enter your email and get all of the latest recipes and my FREE vegetarian pantry essentials guide.