My fiance and I are off for a picnic today!! He decided to take a couple of days off work and asked me what I would like us to do together. I said I wanted us to have a picnic. There’s always something so special about sitting on a blanket outside in the sun and enjoying a delicious hamper of goodies. For me that means beautiful freshly baked bread, cheese, salads, something sweet and maybe even a glass of wine! Picnics are the perfect opportunity to relax and soak up the sun, as well as enjoy a spot of people watching.
One of the salads that will be in our picnic hamper is this deliciously crunchy Cucumber Salad. It’s a new favourite, that I’ve made over and over again (by the way it goes really well with the carrot fritters I posted on Wednesday), not least because it’s super simply to assemble. I love the combination of rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, red onions and cucumber. This cucumber salad is so simple yet so delicious.
So tell me, what are your favourite picnic foods? And do you enjoy people watching too?
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp of coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
- 2½ tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of honey
- Combine the cucumber, chopped coriander and red onion in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Add the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and honey in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add to the salad and toss to coat evenly in the dressing.
- Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds just before serving.