These loaded sweet potatoes are baked and stuffed with a spiced black bean filling. This is the ultimate in comfort food that you don’t need to feel guilty about!
My Irish heritage long ago predisposed me to a love of all things potato. And that includes Sweet Potato.
As delicious as regular potatoes are when baked, it is sweet potatoes that truly hold my heart. There’s something about that sweet, almost stickiness they get when roasted or baked. I can’t get enough!
These fully loaded sweet potatoes are baked sweet potatoes stuffed with a spiced black bean filling and are satisfying enough as a meal on their own.
Baked sweet potatoes are the ultimate comfort food for me. However, they are the type of comfort food that you don’t need to feel too guilty about. Low GI they also contain iron, vitamin C and magnesium.
If you are short on time and are not opposed to using a microwave, you can pierce each potato a couple of times with a fork and microwave for around 4 minutes, or until the sweet potato can be pierced with a fork, but still yields some resistance, and then pop them in a preheated over for a further 10 minutes or so to finish cooking.
Before stuffing my sweet potatoes I like to cut them open and lightly mash the potato with a fork and a little seasoning and a bit of extra virgin olive oil. If you can tolerate dairy use butter instead of the oil.
Filled with spiced black beans and topped with lime cashew cream and avocado these loaded sweet potatoes are a delicious meal that is hard to beat.
Yields 4 servings
20 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 4 sweet potatoes
- butter or olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- BLACK BEAN FILLING:
- 2 1/2 cups tinned or cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- TO SERVE:
- lime cashew cream (click for the recipe)
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Preheat oven to 200 celsius (400 fahrenheit). Pierce the sweet potatoes 4 or 5 times with a fork and place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. The larger the sweet potato the longer it will take to cook.
- To make the black bean filling combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender remove them from the oven and cut in half. Season with salt and pepper and a little oil or butter. Lightly mash with a fork before topping with the filling and a dollop of the lime cashew cream, or sour cream if you prefer and avocado and coriander (cilantro) leaves.