There are two things my stepsons absolutely love – chocolate and Lego. So it seemed only natural to combine them both into Chocolate Lego cupcakes for their birthdays this weekend.
The idea of making Lego cupcakes seemed simple, but executing it was more fiddly than I first thought. I wanted to recreate Lego tiles so I dived into the Lego box in their bedroom and dug around for inspiration. I ended up selecting a 4×2 tile and I also took a minifigure, although I wasn’t quite sure what I would do with it.
I took some white fondant, coloured it Lego yellow and then used the tile as a template to cut the fondant. For the dots on the tile I used a piping tip to cut tiny little circles and applied those to the fondant tile with gum paste. Applying the dots to the tiles was very fiddly work indeed, but I was really pleased with the end result.
I had some left over fondant, so I decided to have a play and see if I could create a minifigure. While he’s not perfect I think he turned out quite well for a first attempt. What do you think?
I was so excited with how my Lego cupcakes turn out (I get excited easily) I couldn’t wait to show my fiancé. I was tempted to send him a photo at work to show him, but wanted to see his face when he saw them. So when he arrived home I excitedly showed him what I had come up with for the boys birthdays and a big grin emerged, the little boy in him came out and he was just as excited as me. He then said he thought the boys would think they are awesome. So here’s hoping they agree!
I haven’t included a tutorial for making the Lego fondant tiles and minifigure for the Lego cupcakes, but if you are interested in a tutorial let me know and I will put one together.
- 200g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 40g best-quality cocoa
- 175g soft unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 150ml sour cream
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 6 ounces of dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of cream
- Remove the butter and eggs from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature before making the cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Place all the ingredients into the food processor and process until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- One the cupcakes have cooled prepare the glaze. Place the cream in a small saucepan and bring the chocolate to boiling point and remove from the heat. Pour over the chocolate and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth and leave to stand for 10 minutes before glazing the cupcakes. Top the glazed cupcakes with the fondant lego.