Now that it’s getting a little cooler, I love anything that reminds me of the warmer months and citrus based sweets and cakes remind me of summer. I love the refreshing tang which is perfect for the summer months when you don’t want anything too heavy.
When I started making these Lemon and Poppyseed Cupcakes I didn’t exactly know what the end result was going to be. I started with a batter and added a bit of this and a bit of that. Whilst this can sometimes result in some odd combinations that don’t work, other times it can result in some fantastic flavour discoveries. The end result of this adventure was lemon, cardamon, poppyseed and shredded coconut cupcakes with lemon buttercream frosting that were moist and had that delicious lemony tang.
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
110 grams of butter
1 cup of caster sugar
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of buttermilk
The juice and rind of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon of poppyseeds
2 cardamon pods
1 cup of shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease a muffin/cupcake tin or line with paper cases.
2. Place the cardamon pods in a mortar and pestle and grind finely. Add to the buttermilk to infuse their flavour while you make the cake batter.
3. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to your mixer bowl along with the caster sugar and beat until light and fluffy and the sugar crystals have all disolved.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
5. Sift in the flour, poppyseeds, lemon rind, lemon juice, buttermilk and sour cream and mix until combined.
6. Fill the cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
110 grams of butter, at room temperature
2 cups of icing sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Rind from 1/2 a lemon
1. In an electric mixer beat the butter until softened and gradually add the sugar ensuring the sugar is well combined before each addition.
2. Add the lemon juice and rind and beat until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Pipe or spread onto the cupcakes.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Enter your email and get all of the latest recipes and my FREE vegetarian pantry essentials guide.