It’s coming up to Valentine’s day, the most Hallmark of holidays, and while I don’t usually get too cutesy with my baking I thought I would whip up some heart shaped Mini Bourbon Peach Pies. Unfortunately, despite using my silicone heart shaped muffin pan, well, my poor little pies look more like blobs than hearts. If you squint really hard you might, just might, be able to see the heart shape….ok, maybe not.
Distinct heart shapes aside, these little pies taste amazing, even if I do say so myself! Inspired by a recipe for Moroccan apple pies I came across in one of my delicious cookbooks, and recalling a recipe for Bourbon poached peaches I stumbled across on Martha Stewarts website one day I decided to combine the two. It also helps that my fiance adores Bourbon.
The Bourbon (in this case I used Makers Mark) really adds an extra dimension to the pies. I love the woodsy, smokey and slight buttery caramel flavour it adds. If you’d prefer not to use alcohol either substitute the Bourbon for water or try poaching the peaches in brown sugar (half brown to half white) to add a slightly caramel note. And if you don’t feel up to making the custard, serve the pies with a dollop of cream or ice cream, but I do love how the custard melts and melds with the peaches!
Finally, I’d like to congratulation Heather L. who was the lucky winner of the River Cottage Veg Everyday giveaway. Speaking of giveaways, as you know the lovely team at Kitchenware Direct love giving presents to Delicious Everyday readers, and we’d love to know what sort of prizes you would love to see in future giveaways. To tell us what prizes you would love to see in future give aways please fill out this survey.
- 4 to 5 large peaches, peeled and de-stoned and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of Bourbon
- 4 sheets of filo pastry
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of cournflour
- VANILLA BOURBON CUSTARD
- 3 egg yolks
- 2½ tablespoons of vanilla sugar
- 150mls of pure cream
- 2 teaspoons of Bourbon
- Combine the peaches, Bourbon, vanilla extract and sugar in a saucepan and cook over a low heat until the peaches are tender. Set aside to cool. Once cooled remove 2 teaspoons of the liquid and combine with the cornflour. Mix to combine and return back to the peaches and stir well to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 fahrenheit) and grease a heart shaped or regular shaped muffin tin.
- Lay the sheets of filo on top of each other and cut into 4 squares. Take 1 square and brush each layer with butter and then place into one of the muffin holes. Leave the pastry overhanging the edges while you butter the remaining pastry and position in the muffin try.
- Spoon the peaches into the pastry, draining off some of the excess liquid. Fold in the sides of the pastry to enclose the filling and brush with more of the melted butter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- While the pies are baking make the custard. Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until combined. Place the cream in a medium saucepan over a medium high heat and bring to boiling point, turn the heat to low and slowly add to the cream, whisking all the time. Once all of the cream has been added return to the heat and, stirring constantly, cook for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a clean trail when you run your finger through it.
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a jug and stir in the Bourbon. Cover and refrigerate if not serving with the pies immediately.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Subscribe and receive the latest recipes via email and your FREE guide to my vegetarian pantry essentials.