What do you cook when you are home alone? For me the answer is almost always soup. With Troy having been away on exercise in the bush for the past week and not getting back until Friday I’ve been making batch after batch of soup.
Apart from chocolate, soup would have to be my favourite food. It’s warming, comforting and soothing. And soothing is especially important, when on days like today I’ve spent the day sneezing, with my nose running non stop due to hay fever. So now, after a bowl of soup, I’m snuggled up in bed with a cup of tea writing this post.
This soup is a combination of some of my favourite things – lentils, lemon and mushrooms, with some chard thrown in for good measure. For the base I used home made vegetable stock, but feel free to use a good quality store bought stock to speed things up. And while this soup may not look overly enticing in it’s dark brownish tones it was exactly what I wanted. Warming and nutritious with that surprising fresh kick of lemon at the end. Serve with some warm crusty rolls or homemade whole wheat bread.
So tell me, when you are home alone what foods do you cook for yourself?
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 200g of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbs of thyme leaves, freshly picked
- ½ cup of French green lentils
- 3 chard leaves, stalk and leaves chopped
- 1600 mls of vegetable stock
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat. Once the pan has come up to heat add the olive oil and onions and fry until the onions are softened. Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and lentils and bring to the boil before reducing to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the lentils are softened. Add the chard stalks and cook for a further 5 minutes before adding the chard leave and simmering for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon zest and juice and mix well before ladelling into bowls and serving with a crusty bread roll or slices of homemade bread.