It’s getting towards the end of the week so it’s time for something wicked to celebrate. I can think of nothing better than Nigella’s chocolate Fudge Cup cakes
400g plain flour
250g caster sugar
100g light muscavado sugar
50g cocoa powder
2tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
142ml sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla
175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
125ml corn oil
300ml chilled water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Arrange cupcake liners on a baking sheet.
2. Melt the butter on the stovetop or microwave and let cool to room temperature.
3. Mix the flour, sugars, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda in a large bowl using a large whisk.
4. Whisk the eggs, sour cream and vanilla together until a smooth mixture forms.
5. Using electric beaters, blend the oil and butter. Beat in the chilled water.
6. Add all the dry ingredients at once and on low speed, slowly incorporate them into the oil, butter and water mixture.
7. Add the egg and sour cream mixture and beat on low speed until a smooth batter forms, about 2 mins.
8. Spoon the batter into cupcake holders, filling only halfway up the sides of the hodlers(cos they rise alot), and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Chocolate fudge frosting
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup half-and-half
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Put the butter, granulated sugar, and half-and-half in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer the mixture for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Small bubbles will form around the edge of the pan. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the semisweet and unsweetened chocolate and stir the mixture until it is smooth and all of the chocolate is melted. Return the saucepan to low heat for 1 minute, if necessary, to melt the chocolate completely.
2. Pour the chocolate mixture into the large bowl of an electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and mix on low speed just to incorporate the powdered sugar. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the mixture and refrigerate until it is cool to the touch, about 35 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure the mixture cools throughout. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.
3. Beat the cooled chocolate mixture on medium-high for 1 minute, or until the frosting is creamy and lightens slightly in color. Use a thin metal spatula to spread the frosting over the top of the cakes.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Subscribe and receive the latest recipes via email and your FREE guide to my vegetarian pantry essentials.