I decided to make Orange Poppyseed Cookies the other day with the abundance of oranges I have at the moment, thanks to my regular farmers boxes.
With all the oranges I have I’ve shared a few orange recipes with you recently. First I made an Orange Madeleine’s, followed by a Chocolate Orange Layer Cake, then an Orange and Cranberry Cake , more recently Orange and Pistachio Meringue Cookies and now Orange Poppyseed Cookies. I hope you are enjoying all the orange inspiration.
To call these Orange Poppyseed cookies is a little misleading, because really the texture is more cakelike than cookie. Perhaps I should rename them Orange Poppyseed Cakies. What do you think?
Fragrant and delicious, with that zing of orange flavour, regardless of their name, they are little drops of orange goodness that would be wonderful served with your afternoon cup of coffee or tea. They would also make a wonderful addition to children’s lunch boxes.
What are your favourite things to make with oranges?
5 minsPrep Time
14 minsCook Time
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbs fresh orange juice
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 295g (1 1/3 cups) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 230g (1 1/2 cups) icing sugar mixture
- 1 tsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbs fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp of orange zest
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (355 Fahrenheit) and line a couple of baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Add the poppy seeds, orange rind and orange juice in a jug or bowland set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Use an mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat butter, sugar and eggs in a bowl until combined.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir in flour, bicarbonate of soda and poppy seed mixture until just combined.
- Drop heaped teaspoonfuls on the baking trays, 5cm apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Leave on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, place icing sugar mixture, butter, zest and juice in a bowl and stir until smooth and glossy.
- Use a piping bag or spoon and drizzle the icing over the cookies.