Are you a dunker?
Dunking or dipping cookies, or biscuits as we call them here in Australia, is something many of us love. In fact mention dunking amongst a group of friends and it’s likely to raise debate over the best was to dunk, and the best drink to dunk your cookies in.
For me that is without doubt a cup of tea. For my hubby it’s coffee, and for others it might be milk, or even, apparently, an ice cold glass of coke. While dunking a cookie in coke isn’t something I’m likely to try anytime soon, not least of which because I don’t drink soft drinks, did you know there is scientific proof that dunking actually makes cookies taste better?
A while ago I came across this article, where the one and only inquisitive Heston Blumenthal set out to prove, scientifically whether or not dunking really does impact flavour. And it does! We were right all along.
So next time you’re looking for something to dunk into your tea, coffee, milk, coke, beer, or whatever, why not give these buttery, crumbly and fragrant pistachio and cardamom cookies a try. As with the chai shortbread cookies I shared a while ago, these cookies are wonderfully fragrant, thanks to the addition of lemon zest and cardamom. And I think, in addition to their beautiful buttery taste, it’s the scent of lemon and cardamom that makes them so good that it’s difficult to stop at one, and even better when dunked!
Just a note, if you are going to make these cookies, and you should, the fragrance and full flavour isn’t fully realised until the day after baking. They really need a day for the cardamom and lemon zest have time to really infuse their heady scent. Alternately you could make the dough a day ahead and refrigerate it overnight before baking.
So tell me, are you a dunker and what is your dunking liquid of choice?
20 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
32 minTotal Time
- 2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 230g (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 1 heaped tsp ground cardamom
- zest of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Add the flour salt, icing sugar, lemon zest, cardamon and butter to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until a dough forms. Add the pistachios and pulse again until combined. Remove from the food processor and roll into a log of roughly 6cm (21/2 inches) in diameter and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight to allow the cardamon and lemon zest to fully infuse.
- Preheat oven to 190 celsius (375 Fahrenheit) and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Slice the dough into 24 cookies and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges begin to golden. Cool on the baking tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookies are the best the day after baking as the flavours really come through then. Alternatively refrigerate the dough overnight before baking.