I love raspberries, I can’t get enough of them. Not only are they delicious, but they are also good for you as they are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. The health benefits of raspberries and dark chocolate (which is also high in antioxidants) aren’t what prompted me to make this cake though. I just adore the combination of raspberries with dark chocolate. It’s such an indulgent combination.
I particularly love this cake recipe, as the addition of sour cream, and the use of brown sugar, results in a deliciously moist rich cake.
Raspberry and dark chocolate chip sour cream cake
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
3/4 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of raspberry liqueur
1 1/2 cups of raspberries
1 cup of dark chocolate chips (or chopped up block chocolate such as Lindt)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease a round cake tin or loaf pan.
2. Cream butter and brown sugar well.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beat well in between each addition.
4. Add the flour and raspberry liqueur and stir until combined before adding the raspberries and chocolate chips and stirring through.
5. Pour the batter into the greased cake tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
I opted to ice this cake as well, which doubled up on the delicious raspberry flavour. If, like me, you’d also like to ice your cake you can use the recipe below.
1 1/2 cups sifted pure icing sugar
1/4 cup crushed raspberries
1-1 1/2 tbs raspberry liqueur
1. To make the icing, combine the icing sugar, liqueur and raspberries and stir until the mixture is smooth.
2. Pour on to cake and spread with a spatula. Top with some raspberries and dark chocolate to decorate.