Breakfasts for most people, myself included, are often repetitions of the same old thing. For me that’s a cup of tea and toast. For others it might be breakfast cereal, and for some, my husband included, it might be no breakfast at all.
It’s funny to think that most of us would turn up our nose at the exact same thing for dinner or lunch everyday, and yet we don’t seem to blink an eye when we eat the same thing for breakfast day after day, after day.
In an effort to spice up my own breakfasts, and to hopefully encourage you to do the same, I’ve taken on a challenge from Australian Avocado’s to come up with 5 delicious breakfast recipes using avocado’s, and first up I’m sharing my favourite with you – slow roasted tomatoes with avocado and feta on toasted sourdough.
It’s delicious, easy and healthy, and so amazingly flavourful for so few ingredients. In fact it’s so good that often I will end up eating it for lunch too.
It all starts with toast. Whatever bread you have is fine, but a base of toasted sourdough is especially good. Buttery avocado is then slathered on top and topped with slow roasted tomatoes, that sweeten and turn into little flavour bombs once roasted. The final touch is sprinkling of crumbled feta. Smooth and creamy Danish style feta is my preference, but go with whatever you prefer. Goats cheese or ricotta would also work well too if you don’t have feta on hand.
The tomatoes can be roasted in advance, in a large batch, for a quick breakfast getaway before work, but I do think they taste best slightly warm. So I’d suggest reheating them gently in the microwave or popping them under the grill for a few minutes, while the bread toasts.
So tell me, are you on the repetitive breakfast cycle or are you a bit more adventurous with your breakfasts?
Start your day off in the best way possible with this delicious and healthy breakfast
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 30 Cook Time
1 hr, 45 Total Time
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, skin on
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tsp olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1-2 ripe avocados, depending on size, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Danish feta, crumbled
- extra virgin olive oil to finish
- Preheat the oven to 120 celsius (250 Fahrenheit) and line a roasting tray with baking paper.
- Halve the tomatoes and place in a bowl with the olive oil, garlic, thyme and salt and toss to combine. Place in the roasting tray, cut side facing up, and roast for 1 and a half hours, or until shrivelled and juicy.
- Toast the bread and squeeze the garlic out of the skins and spread on the warm toast. Top with the avocado slices, tomatoes and feta. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
The tomatoes can be roasted in large batches in advance and stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat gently before serving in a microwave or under a grill.
This post was sponsored by Australian Avocados. As always, all opinions are my own.