If you’re looking for a vegan chocolate cake recipe this dark, rich and utterly delicious vegan chocolate cake is the BEST you will find! Oh, and it is super easy too!
I couldn’t imagine the world without chocolate or chocolate cake!
This chocolate cake recipe ticks all the right boxes. It is intensely chocolatey without being the least bit sicky. It is rich, but not overly so, and, most importantly, it is super easy to make!
Dairy free, egg free and vegan this chocolate cake is moist with a beautifully tender crumb. Make a large cake, like I have, however this recipe also works equally well in cupcake form, and topped with a vegan chocolate ganache frosting, it’s absolutely to die for.
Make this chocolate cake now, make it at Easter, or make it for someone you love, just because.
- 2 cups (275g) plain (all purpose) flour
- ¾ cup (100g) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1¾ cups (450ml) coconut milk
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1¾ cups (320g) brown sugar
- 1¼ cups (320ml) sunflower oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- VEGAN CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING:
- 250g vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- ⅔ cup coconut milk (see note)
- fresh raspberries to decorate, optional
- Preheat the oven to 160 celsius (315 fahrenheit) and grease a 23cm (9 inch) cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, bicarb, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Sift again.
- Combine the coconut milk, vinegar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out with almost no crumbs attached. The middle of the cake should also spring back when lightly pressed. Place on a wire cake rack and leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the frosting place the chocolate and coconut milk in a small heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Set aside for an hour, or until slightly thickened (do not refrigerate), before frosting the cake.
- Pour the frosting over the cake and gently easy down the sides with an offset spatula. Top with raspberries, if using.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Enter your email and get all of the latest recipes and my FREE vegetarian pantry essentials guide.