There is nothing quite as comforting as homemade baked beans. This vegetarian baked beans recipe is rich and smoky and oh so simple to prepare.
Do the words baked beans illicit memories of the horrible watery and synthetic tinned variety?
It’s time to cast those memories aside because my homemade vegetarian baked beans are worlds apart from the tinned imitation.
First, there’s the smokiness provided by a good dose of smoked paprika.
Then a mixture of onion and shallots are cooked until sweet and tender.
Finally, buttery cannellini beans are cloaked in a rich tomato sauce sweetened ever so slightly with maple syrup.
What’s even better is this recipe requires minimal effort whilst delivering boldly on the flavour front!
The secret is good quality tinned beans and tomato passata which provides a rich delicious sauce that doesn’t require hours of cooking. Left-over passata (this recipe only requires 2 cups) can be used to make my vegan Margarita Pizzas.
My favourite way to eat these vegan baked beans is for lunch with a side of kale chips in place of bread. However, they are just as delicious on hot buttery toast, or grilled sourdough rubbed with garlic.
So tell me, how do you like your baked beans?
Vegetarian Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 700 g tomato [amazon_link id="B005IGZGUA" target="_blank" ]passata[/amazon_link] or 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes 14 oz
- 2 oz x 400g tins of [amazon_link id="B00CEW2Q6S" target="_blank" ]cannellini beans[/amazon_link] drained, 14
- 1 tbs heaped brown sugar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp [amazon_link id="B0085WJOLG" target="_blank" ]sweet smoked paprika[/amazon_link]
- 1 leaves sprig of rosemary removed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a saucepan over a medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Add a pinch of salt and cook the onion until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Adjust the seasonings as necessary.