While there is debate over whether white chocolate can truly be called a chocolate (white chocolate is derived from cocoa butter and does not contain cocoa solids like regular chocolate), there is one thing it shares in common with chocolate….it’s delicious and addictive.
These cupcakes came about because my parents were coming to stay with us on visit from Tasmania and knowing my Mum loves white chocolate and raspberries I had to make something that included both ingredients. Along with the mountain of other things I cooked in preparation for their visit – two different cheese crackers, caramelised onion dip, roasted red capsicum dip, double chocolate bourbon and macadamia cookies, granola and gingerbread – I made these delicious cupcakes that were an all round hit.
Does anyone else go over the top cooking in preparation for visitors? What are your favourite recipes to make for visitors?
I used Sprinkled With Flour’s delicious raspberry curd recipe and halved it for the cupcakes which was the perfect amount to fill the cupcakes.
White chocolate mud cupcakes
Adapted from 500 cakes dark chocolate mocha mud cake recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes
280g of white chocolate, chopped
220g of butter, diced
400g of caster sugar
240ml of milk
2 eggs, at room temperature, beaten
150g of plain flour
40g of self raising flour
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius or 325 farenheit and line a cupcake/muffin tray with paper liners.
2. Place the white chocolate, butter, sugar and milk in a saucepan and heat gently over a low heat until the butter and chocolate have melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
3. Add the eggs to the cooled chocolate mixture before adding the flours and gently folding in. Pour into the cupcake liners filling 3/4.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Leave to cool.
5. Once cooled, fill a piping bag with the raspberry curd. Press the nozzle into the cupcake and pipe in the curd. Alternatively, using a shard knife, cut away a section of the cupcake, fill with the raspberry curd and then replace the cut out section.
White chocolate ganache
Adapted from 500 cakes dark chocolate ganache
100g of white chocolate, finely chopped
80ml of double cream
1. Place the chocolate into a heat proof bowl.
2. Put double cream into a saucepan and heat until almost boiling before adding to the chocolate. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
3. Stir until smooth and leave to stand until it thickens before icing the cupcakes.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Subscribe and receive the latest recipes via email and your FREE guide to my vegetarian pantry essentials.