Tomorrow my husband and I head off to spend Christmas in Adelaide with his family. But before we leave I’ve been busy preparing and scheduling the last few posts in my 12 treats of Christmas series.
Today I’m sharing with you these delicious White Chocolate Posts de Creme with Honey Roasted Figs and Cherries.
While I don’t usually like creamy desserts, I do have a weak spot when it comes to pots de creme, which I guess is in large part due to my general weakness when it comes to chocolate, especially dark chocolate! As a result of my love of dark chocolate white chocolate rarely makes an appearance in my pantry. In fact, the only time white chocolate finds it’s way into my pantry is Christmas time, so I thought it was the perfect time to make some white chocolate pots de creme.
These little creamy white pots of chocolatey goodness are flecked with black vanilla seeds, and are the ideal dessert to prepare the day before your Christmas feast, reducing the amount of time you spend in the kitchen on the day, as they need 3 hours to set before serving. The roasted figs and cherries can be prepared the day before too, and in fact I think they benefit from sitting overnight along with the roasting spices.
So before I take a break over Christmas, I’d like to take this opportunity to wish you all a wonderful, delicious, happy and safe Christmas and a prosperous new year. And after the last two posts in my 12 Treats of Christmas series, which go live in the next few days thanks to the wonders of scheduling, I’ll be back in the new year with more deliciousness!
12 Treats of Christmas
Don’t forget to check out the other delicious treats in my 12 Treats of Christmas series.
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 cup of pouring cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (keep the pod for the roasted figs and cherries)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 300g (10 1/2 ozs) of good quality white chocolate, chopped
- HONEY ROASTED FIGS AND CHERRIES:
- 2 figs, cut into eighths
- 2 cups of cherries, pitted
- 1 tbs of honey
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 a star anise
- 1/2 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine the milk, cream and vanilla bean seeds in a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a boil. While the cream mixture is coming to a boil whisk the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and glossy. When the cream has come to the boil switch the mixer to it’s slowest speed and add the cream slowly so as not to curdle the eggs. When combined return the mixture to the saucepan and place over a medium low heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon thickly, around 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Divide the mixture between 6 small glasses or small ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours to set.
- While the pots de creme are setting make the honey roasted figs and cherries. Preheat the oven 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and line a small roasting pan with baking paper. Place the cherries, figs, oil, spices, honey and the remaining vanilla pod in the roasting pan and toss gently until coated. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the figs are softened. Allow to cool in the pan and place the fruit in a sealed container, along with any pan juices and the spices and refrigerate overnight. Remove the spices before serving.
- Serve the roasted fruit on top of the pots de creme.