Can't decide between dessert and that after-dinner cocktail? These Boozy Oreo Cupcakes are the perfect treat. Chocolate cupcakes are infused with rich flavor from coffee and vanilla-cream ale, then topped with a homemade Oreo frosting. Yum!
You all know that I have an insatiable sweet tooth, and a little bit of a chocolate addiction.
So naturally, I love Oreo cookies. I mean who doesn't love Oreo cookies? They remind me of childhood.
So I thought I would go ahead and make my own grown-up treat, using my favorite Oreo cookies. And what could be better for a grown-up treat than boozy cupcakes?
These decadent chocolate cupcakes get a dash of coffee and vanilla cream ale, for incredibly rich flavors. And we'll make our own Oreo frosting to finish them off.
Let's Make Boozy Oreo Cupcakes
These Oreo cupcakes start off with a pretty basic chocolate cake recipe as the base. We add in a bit of instant coffee for a nice, rich flavor. We fold in some Oreo cookie pieces, for a little texture. And of course - a dash of vanilla cream ale for the booze factor.
I used the Not Your Father's Vanilla Cream Ale, which I've been seeing at most grocery stores. But if you don't have that available, you can substitute your favorite dark beer or ale instead. A nice, chocolate porter or hazelnut ale would also be delicious in these Oreo cupcakes.
The Oreo frosting is really the wow factor on these cupcakes. It just looks to good to be true.
You'll need very fine Oreo crumbs for the frosting. The least messy way to pull this off is by placing a few Oreo cookies into a plastic bag, and then using a mallet to crush them. This will keep Oreos from flying all over your kitchen!
To make the frosting, you'll want to use an electric mixer to whip together butter, sugar, vanilla, whipping cream, and Oreo crumbs.
Then pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, and top each one with a cookie. Your Boozy Oreo Cupcakes are ready to enjoy.
For more cocktail-inspired desserts, check out these Gin and Tonic Tarts or this Pineapple-Rum ice cream. Cheers!
Boozy Oreo Cupcakes
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg room temp.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vanilla cream ale
- ¼ cup water heated to boil
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- ⅓ cup Oreo cookies crushed
For the Oreo frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely crushed Oreo crumbs
- extra Oreos for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line your muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, sift to combine.
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar, and stir until combined.
- Add the Oreo cookie pieces, oil, buttermilk, egg, vanilla cream ale, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Add the instant coffee to the 4 cup boiling water and mix until dissolved.
- Add the coffee to the mixing bowl and mix.
- Pour the batter in the cupcake liners, filling each one ¾ of the way full.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool
To make Oreo frosting:
- Prepare the frosting in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add the butter on medium speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing to combine.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined.
- Add the Oreo crumbs on low-speed and combine.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish each cupcake with a mini Oreo, if desired.
I find your Boozy Oreo Cupcakes so easy to make. My niece will surely love this. The nutritional facts is surely good. Thanks for sharing.