These cute, Chocolate Halloween Cookies are sure to be a hit with trick-or-treaters of all ages. Delicious chocolate cut-out cookies are sandwiched around a strawberry jam filling, for a delicious Halloween dessert.
As you probably know, Halloween is quickly approaching! And that means it’s time to break out all the cutest Halloween cookies!
Love Halloween? Grab all my most popular Halloween desserts in this free printable.
Why do we celebrate Halloween?
Halloween is a combination of a number of ancient festivals, namely the Celtic festival of Samhain, All Saints Day and the Roman festival of Feralia.
Samhain marked the end of the harvest season and the end of the lighter half of the year leading into the darker, winter season. It was believed that at this time of the year the boundaries between the world of the living and dead became thin and the dead could cross over causing sickness and havoc with crops.
Masks and costumes were worn to disguise a person as an evil spirit in the belief that they would be left alone. So now we all get to dress up in our silliest costumes, and beg each other for candy. Makes perfect sense, right? 😉
How to Make Halloween Cookies
I was inspired to make these cute Halloween cookies when I came across some adorable bat and ghost shaped cookie cutters.
If you don’t already have a set of Halloween cookie cutters, this set from Ann Clark would do the trick. I like the smaller size, which works really well for these cut-out style cookies.
You will also need a regular, round cookie cutter. Or you can use the top of a drinking glass to cut out the round shapes.
Making these cute Halloween cookies is pretty simple. I made them with my son – and he does not have much of an attention span for baking – so you know they are easy!
The full recipe is below, but I’ll give you a couple quick tips.
You’ll start off by making a really simple chocolate cookie dough. Make sure you pick up a good quality cocoa powder, because that will make all the difference in flavor.
Next, you simply make some basic chocolate Halloween cookies, cutting them into round shapes. Then, use your fun Halloween cookie cutters to cut the fun shapes out of half the cookies.
Then, you layer them! Use the uncut, round chocolate cookies as the base. Spread the strawberry jam on top. And stack a cut-out cookie on top. Press the edges together, and they are ready to bake!
And there you have – some seriously cute Halloween cookies.
Of course, we wouldn’t want to waste all of those adorable cut-out shapes, right? You can bake those for about 5 minutes, and serve them right alongside your Halloween cookies!
Or just grab all my favorite Halloween desserts in this handy free printable!
Cute Halloween Cookies – Chocolate Cookies with Jam Cut-Outs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees Celsius), and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until combined before sifting in the flour and cocoa.
- Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured bench and roll out to your desired thickness.
- Using a round cookie cutter cut out the cookies. Hint: If you don’t have one, use the top of a drinking glass.
- Take half of the cookies cut out and place them on the prepared baking trays. Spread evenly with a layer of jam.
- Take a smaller, Halloween-themed cookie cutter and cut out the center of the cookie before placing it on top of the prepared bases.
- Bake for 17 to 18 minutes. Place onto a baking wrack to cool.
- Optional: You can bake the cut-out shapes for 4 -5 minutes, and enjoy as an extra treat!