These deliciously chocolatey tender brownie cookies are packed with chocolate chunks and sandwiched with peppermint cream.
On a whim the other day I bought a Peppermint Pattie. Do you remember them? It’s extremely rare that I buy candy bars now days, but I remembered them from my childhood and couldn’t help but buy one to see if they tasted as I remembered. When I was a little girl, while many children my age would have chosen Mars Bars or Snickers or something equally decadent when given a choice of what candy bar they would like, I chose the humble Peppermint Pattie. In fact, I think that’s where my love of peppermint and chocolate first started. Peppermint Patties and those after dinner mint chocolates that used to come in boxes individually wrapped.
When I got home I unwrapped my nostalgic Peppermint Pattie and I was somewhat disappointed. It was much thinner than I remembered. Maybe that’s because everything seems bigger when your a child, I’m not sure, but I remembered a thicker disc of pepperminty goodness coated in dark chocolate. As I bit into the taste was still there, and that almost chewy but not quite texture was the way I remembered it.
A couple of days later it ignited another craving for chocolate and peppermint. I then remembered a recipe I had bookmarked in Donna Hay’s December/ January 2012 issue for Chocolate Peppermint Cookies where the cookies were described as chewy and rich and chocolatey. And in combination with the peppermint cream they are a delicious and decadent after dinner treat, better than the Peppermint Pattie in my opinion. Especially when the cookies are still semi warm and the chocolate chunks are still oozing.
So tell me, what candy bar was your favourite when you were a child?
For this recipe you’ll need:
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B000WR22CA” locale=”US” src=”https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/519TiLWMM5L.SL160.jpg” tag=”delicioused-20″ width=”143″] [easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B000LKV7Q0″ locale=”US” src=”https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51Li3crBW0L.SL160.jpg” tag=”delicioused-20″ width=”160″] [easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B00SPYFVWA” locale=”US” src=”https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/41cv4ms6YL.SL160.jpg” tag=”delicioused-20″ width=”94″] [easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B001E95KLU” locale=”US” src=”https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/41pX2JMINL.SL160.jpg” tag=”delicioused-20″ width=”160″]
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 150 g butter softened, 2/3 cup
- 90 g brown sugar 1/2 cup
- 175 g golden syrup 1/2 cup
- 225 g plain flour sifted, 1 3/4 cups, all-purpose
- 25 g Dutch cocoa powder sifted, 1/4 cup
- 1 tsp baking soda sifted
- 200 g dark chocolate 70% cocoa, chopped, 7 oz
- PEPPERMINT CREAM:
- 400 g icing sugar sifted, 3 cups
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract you might need more depending on taste
- 2 tbs milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the butter, sugar and golden syrup and bet until pale and creamy, approximately 10 minutes. Add the sifted flour, cocoa and baking soda and mix until a smooth dough begins to form. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again. Add the chocolate and mix until combined. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and take tablespoons of the dough and roll into balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Flatten the balls slightly and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the tops of the bookies begin to crack. Remove from the oven and leave on the tray for 2 minutes to firm up before placing on wire wracks to cool.
- Once the cookies are cooled they are ready to ice. Combine the icing sugar, milk and peppermint extract in a bowl and mix until smooth. Taste the icing to see if it contains enough peppermint and adjust as necessary. The icing mixture should be fairly thick. Spread half the cookies with the icing mixture and top with the remaining cookies.