Planning on making roast potatoes this Christmas? Learn my secrets for crunchy, golden and crispy roast potatoes with rosemary, sage and garlic.
There are few simple pleasures in life that are better than crispy roast potatoes.
My bit of Irish heritage, and the fact I was born the day before St Patrick’s day probably pre-disposed me to a love of potatoes.
I know it’s not something people like to admit these days, in this low-carb, one-diet-fad-after-another world. But I adore potatoes.
(Before you read on to the recipe – be sure to snag a copy of the Ultimate Vegan Toolkit for more delicious plant-based recipe ideas.)
Thankfully, my husband shares my love of roast potatoes so I never need to find an excuse to make them.
Everyone has their tips on how to make the best roast potatoes. Here are some of my tips for the best crispy roast potatoes:
- Make sure you use roasting potatoes. It sounds obvious, but some potatoes are better for roasting than others. My favorites are Sebago but ask your grocer for what is the best available at the moment.
- When picking potatoes, go for potatoes that are still coated in dirt. Pre-washed potatoes never seem to crisp up as much when roasted. I think this is because they absorb a bit of water, during the washing process, making it more difficult to get them crispy on the outside.
- Precook your potatoes in plenty of salted boiling water. Just like your pasta cooking water, the water you are going to cook your potatoes in should taste like the sea. Cooking them in salted water now helps the potatoes absorb the salt and season them all the way through. Simply seasoning the outside when you are roasting will only do that – season the outside, not the middle. So cook them in well-salted water.
- Once your potatoes are tender, drain them in a fine mesh sieve or colander and leave them for 10 to 20 minutes or so to steam dry. Don’t skip this step as it helps ensure a crispy roast potato exterior.
These crispy roast potatoes are perfect served alongside my vegan mushroom wellington. Serve this up for Christmas, and you’re sure to have your guests coming back for more! (For more plant-based holiday meal ideas, check out this post.)
Oh! And while you’re here, don’t forget to snag a free copy of all my reader-favorite vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Crispy Roast Potatoes
- Peel your potatoes and cut into halves or quarters, depending on their size. Place in a saucepan and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and leave to cool for 10 to 20 minutes. This process allows the outside of the potato to dry helping them get extra crispy and crunchy during roasting. DON’T SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU WANT CRISPY ROAST POTATOES!
- Preheat the oven to 200 celsius (400 Fahrenheit) and place the potatoes in a roasting dish. Toss the potatoes in the oil, rosemary, sage, garlic and salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes to ensure they become evenly golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with a little extra sea salt and freshly chopped rosemary and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to see! Share your photo on Instagram and use the hashtag #deliciouseveryday for a chance to be featured or share it on my Facebook page.