This vegan taco soup is loaded with hearty beans, plant-based beef, tomatoes, corn, and taco seasonings. A simple and easy vegan soup that is ready for you to load up your favorite taco toppings.
This taco soup recipe is great to toss in the slow cooker and allow it to cook all day. A simple dinner that the whole family will be on board with eating. Plus if you have leftovers it is great for meal prepping for lunches or reheating for dinner.
Here are even more Cinco De Mayo vegan recipes for you to try out. Enjoy the southwest flavor of this bean loaded soup.
This Vegan Taco Soup Recipe Is...
- Made with ground beef plant based replacement
- Easy to Make
- Slow Cooks All Day
- Meal Prep Friendly
- Freezer Friendly
- Gluten Free
How to Make Vegan Taco Soup
Full directions no how to make this vegan taco soup are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk-through on how it is made.
- Start by heating oil in a pan and add your plant based beef and onions and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Then add in the garlic and carrots and cook for a few more additional minutes.
- Place ingredients in the slow cooker and mix up all the ingredients. Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Season to taste, and then garnish as you would like.
Helpful Tips for Vegan Taco Soup
Crock Pot Liners
If you haven't tried a crock pot liner you might want to try them out. You place one in a crock pot then add in the ingredients, stir and cook. The liner makes it very easy for cleanup. You just scoop out the leftovers and then throw the liner away.
Cooking Plant Based Beef First
You will want to saute the plant based beef first and the onions. This is going to really work at creating dimension and flavor. Then you will add in the carrots and garlic.
Variations to Vegan Taco Soup Recipe
If you don't want to use a mix of beans you can change it up. I used pinto, black beans, and kidney beans. Feel free to use a different mix or all of the same beans.
I shared a mix of spices but if you want to change up using all the spices simply swap with a packet of taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning if you want.
Feel free to add in other vegetables if you would like. Or you can leave out the carrots and corn if you prefer. Depending on your taste preferences you can change up what you use.
Vegan Taco Soup FAQs
What is vegan taco meat made of?
You will find a lot of vegan meat can vary. It can be made with tofu, spices, or lentils and beets are also used. So depending on what you purchase will vary in terms of what the meat is made out of.
How many days is taco soup good for?
Your taco soup can store for about a week when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Just heat it up in the microwave or on the stovetop. Then top with your favorite Mexican toppings.
Can you freeze vegan taco soup?
Yes you can freeze your leftover soup for 2-3 months. Just store in an airtight container that is freezer approved or use a sealed Ziploc bag. The ground vegan meat can alter in texture once thawed depending on what you use.
Vegan Taco Soup
- 2 ½ cups of plant-based ground “beef” see notes for recommendations
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot grated (do not peel the carrot)
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 15 oz kidney beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz pinto beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes canned, drained
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups salsa any variety you prefer
- 2 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- avocado vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, tortilla chips, jalapeno slices, red onion slices
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan. Add the plant based “beef” and onion, and cook for 5-7 minutes, until onions soften.
- Add the garlic and carrot to the skillet, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- If preparing in the slow cooker: Add the skillet mixture and all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- If preparing on the stovetop, transfer the skillet mixture to a large stock pot and add all of the remaining ingredients. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes over low heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving. Garnish as desired – there are some ideas in the ingredient list!
- This recipe works well with the plant-based ground “beef” from Gardein or Impossible Foods. If you do not wish to use a meat substitute, you can also replace it with extra beans or with lentils.
- If you have leftovers, try serving them over corn chips as nachos!
- We usually have the leftovers as nachos.
- If you want more heat, add cayenne pepper.