A gorgeously simple salad with the sweetness of nectarines. Serve it as a side dish or for a light lunch.
One of the things I love about summer is all of the beautiful stone fruit.
This grilled nectarine salad is one of my favourite ways to eat nectarines. Lightly seared slivers of nectarine are paired with slightly bitter rocket (arugula) and watercress and drizzled with a dark and glistening drizzle of balsamic syrup. The finishing touch is a few dollops of cashew cream (if you can tolerate dairy a few chunks of mozzarella would work well), a smattering of basil leaves and a sprinkling of lightly toasted hazelnuts for a bit of crunch.
So simple, but so delicious.
Grilled Nectarine Salad with Balsamic
- 1/3 cup cashews soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of half a lemon
- pinches a couple of of salt
- 3 nectarines you can also use peaches but remove their skin first
- 2 tsp flavour neutral oil
- 2 cups rocket arugula
- 2 cup watercress
- 1/4 leaves basil large ones torn
- 2 tbs <a href="http://amzn.to/1Qgz1Y3" target="_blank" data-mce-href="http://amzn.to/1Qgz1Y3">balsamic syrup</a>
- 1 tbs toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- Begin by making the cashew cream. If using mozzarella you can skip this step. Place the drained cashews, 1/4 cup water, lemon juice and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Place into a small serving jar and refrigerate.
- Place a small frying pan over a medium-low heat. Bring to the pan to temperature and lightly brush with the oil. Slice the nectarines. You can go with big chunky slices or slivers as I have. The choice is yours. Place half the nectarine slices in the pan and leave for a minute before flipping over. Cook for another minute before removing to a plate and repeating with the remaining nectarine.
- Toss the rocket (arugula), basil and watercress together in a serving bowl. Top with the grilled nectarine and drizzle the balsamic syrup over the top. Add a few dollops of the cashew cream (or mozzarella, if using) and finally the chopped hazelnuts. Serve immediately.