This Lemon Bread is the perfect treat for any sweet tooth! It’s super easy to make and is a great snack for any time of the day.
Lemon-flavored desserts are some of my favorite! I love the tangy, citrusy flavor of lemon combined with the sweetness of sugar. If you're like me, then you'll love desserts like these Lemon Brûlée Cookies, this Lemon Tart, or even these Lemon Meringue Cupcakes.
I mean, who doesn’t love a glazed lemon bread? It’s the perfect combination of sweet and sour—but mostly sweet!
This recipe is super simple. All you need are some bowls and something to mix your ingredients. The prep only takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
This lemon bread recipe is...
- super easy
- great with coffee
- a sweet snack
If you love vegan baking, make sure you grab a copy of my free vegan baking cheat sheet while you're here. It's packed with all my favorite plant-based substitutions to help you vegan-ize any recipe!
How to Make Lemon Bread
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs.
- Add to that butter, lemon juice, and zest. Mix it well.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk to the large bowl and mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and cool it on a wire rack.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing confectioners sugar and milk.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled loaf.
Scroll down for the full recipe with measurements and detailed instructions.
Tips & Tricks
Quickly Softening Butter
If you forgot to put your butter out to soften, here’s a quick way you can get your butter to the right consistency.
Put the butter (still wrapped) in the microwave for 5 seconds. Then flip it to another side and microwave for more 5 seconds. You will do this 1 to 2 more times depending on the wattage of your microwave. You’ll be able to feel the butter soften through the wrapper.
But be careful not to let it melt!
Orange Cranberry Glaze
You can add contrasting flavors to your lemon bread by adding to the glaze. Try adding some orange zest to your glaze mixture, or replace some of the milk with orange juice.
Then add some dried cranberries to the top. Or, you can add the dried cranberries to the lemon bread batter before baking. That way, the cranberry flavor will be infused into the bread.
One way to make your lemon bread moist is by adding fruits to the batter. I’d suggest a fruit like blueberries or blackberries.
After you wash the berries, make sure that you dry them on a paper towel before adding them to the batter.
Also, don’t use any cut up fruit. Stick to small fruits, such as berries, that have their skin. Otherwise, there may be too much liquid in the batter and the consistency of the lemon bread won’t turn out right.
And don’t forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet too! It’s packed with my favorite easy substitutions to help you make just about any recipe vegan!
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8x4 loaf pan with butter and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until creamy.
- Add butter and mix thoroughly, followed by the lemon juice and zest.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together confectioners’ sugar and milk and pour over cooled loaf. Serve and enjoy.