This quick and easy vegan Mexican Black Bean Salad is filling and nutritious, and packs a punch thanks to a lime, cumin and smoked paprika dressing.
If you follow me on Instagram, this salad may look vaguely familiar. The reason being it is one of my favourites and makes regular appearances at lunch time.
This Mexican Black Bean Salad ticks all the boxes for me. It is quick and easy to prepare; filled with lots of healthy crunchy vegetables; filling, thanks to the black beans; colourful and a has a wonderful smokey citrus kick.
I've used watercress here, mainly because it is my favourite salad green. If you're unfamiliar with watercress, it is packed with lots of vitamins and minerals, and makes a wonderful change to the ubiquitous rocket (otherwise known arugula to my US readers). If you can't get your hands on watercress where you are - hint, farmers markets are a good source - feel free to use whatever greens you prefer.
It would make a greater starter for a Mexican themed dinner party, with these sweet potato tacos, featuring my take on traditional street corn.
And if you really want to take things up a notch, try serving it with these beautiful Stuffed Squash Blossoms!
Mexican Black Bean Salad with Cumin, Lime and Smoked Paprika dressing
- 3 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove large garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 400 g tin black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cucumber quartered and finely sliced
- 4 radishes quartered and sliced
- 1 red capsicum diced, bell pepper
- 6 spring onions finely sliced
- 2 ½ cups watercress or rocket/arugula
- To make the dressing place all of the ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined. Alternatively place in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Add the dressing just before serving (otherwise the watercress will wilt) and toss well to combine.