Poach eggs the easy way, in the microwave in 60 seconds! Serve these microwave poached eggs on top of Turkish bread, hummus and mushrooms for a satisfying vegetarian breakfast.
While you're here, don't forget to grab a free copy of my Top 15 Reader-Favorite Recipes! It's loaded with delicious vegetarian-friendly recipes that are surefire crowd-pleasers.
There's nothing quite as satisfying as a poached egg for breakfast. It's a healthy and satisfying way to start the day, and keep you going until lunch time.
But, what I'm particularly fond of is piercing through that cloud-like exterior to be greeted with a burst of sunshine yellow oozing yolk. Bliss!
Poached eggs are fiddly and require more coordination and dexterity than I am usually capable of in the morning. So I used to only indulge in poached eggs on weekends when I went out for brunch.
But that was until I discovered a quick and easy method to freshly poached eggs in under 5 minutes. So I can now enjoy poached eggs at home whenever I want.
The secret is to make your poached eggs in a microwave.
The idea of microwave poached eggs might seem improbable, and you might even have visions of having to clean up the aftermath of an egg related explosion, or egg-plosion, if you will.
But I assure you, it's super simple, and almost idiot proof.
You may however have to sacrifice a few eggs at first to learn how quickly your microwave cooks them. For me it's 55 seconds in my Breville Quick Touch microwave for the perfect poached egg. Play with your microwave and work out the best timing for yours.
To go with my poached egg - I have mushrooms lightly sprinkled with dukkah, atop a bed of hummus and a base of toasted Turkish bread.
With a few advance preparations, such as using store bought hummus or a batch of hummus you made yourself previously, a kettle of just boiled water and a preheated frying pan - this breakfast can be assembled in 10 minutes.
Note to Self: It's the perfect way to indulge Mom on Mother's Day!
If you love these poached eggs, check out these other delicious breakfast recipes:
And for more delicious recipes, don't forget to grab a free copy of my Top 15 Reader-Favorite Recipes before you go!
60-Second Microwave Poached Eggs with Turkish Toast
- Before you start, boil a kettle and place a medium frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the oil and mushrooms to the preheated frying pan and lightly season with salt. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cooked. Add the parsley and stir through. Keep warm.
- Fill a bowl (a dessert or deep soup bowl is ideal for this) with boiling water until ½ full. Add the vinegar. Pre-program your microwave with the cooking time (55 seconds is what works for my microwave), leave the door of the microwave open and place the egg and a bread plate next to the bowl.
- Use a spoon to stir the vinegar water until you see a slight whirlpool effect. Remove the spoon and let the whirlpool settle slightly before cracking the egg in the center. Immediately cover with the plate and place in the microwave and cook.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and check that the white is cooked. Cook in 10 second bursts until cooked. Use a spoon to remove the egg from the bowl and drain on a plate lined with a piece of paper towel.
- Repeat the process with the second egg but subtract 10 seconds off the time as the water and bowl will be extra hot from cooking the first egg.
- Divide the hummus between the pieces of Turkish bread and top with the mushrooms and poached eggs and sprinkle with dukkah. Serve immediately.
This post was sponsored by Australian Eggs as part of their 10 minute breakfast challenge. As always, all views are my own.