A simple ,delicious and easy Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe with an exotic blend of spices, topped with yoghurt, pistachios & pomegranate molasses.
Despite the fact that it’s spring, you could easily be fooled into thinking it’s summer. In our house warm days mean salads.
Lots of salads, because I don’t like to just serve one salad with dinner. I like variety when it comes to salads, but there is one salad I could eat bowls and bowls of, and that is this Moroccan Chickpea Salad.
This gorgeous colourful easy Moroccan Chickpea Salad recpe is a definite favourite of mine. I first had it at my friend Amanda’s, of Lambs’ Ears and Honey, when my husband and I were in Adelaide over Christmas.
Amanda received the recipe for this Moroccan salad from a friend and tweaked it before serving it to me at a delicious summer barbeque. And I did the same thing before serving it to my brother and his family when they were visiting from Tasmania recently.
Nutty chickpeas are coated in smoky paprika, cinnamon and cumin. To this preserved lemon is added along with red onion, garlic and lemon juice and dried cranberries and olive oil.
It’s delicious, substantial, and I love this chickpea salad recipe so much I’ve had it for lunch most days this week! In fact, it’s even more delicious the next day when the spices have had even more time to intermingle. I hope you love it too!
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to see! Share your photo on Instagram and use the hashtag #deliciouseveryday for a chance to be featured or share it on my Facebook page.
Want more delicious recipes?
Subscribe to the Delicious Everyday weekly newsletter. It’s FREE! As a subscriber bonus, I’ll also send you my guide to pantry essentials for delicious everyday meals.
Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe
- 2 400g cans chickpeas rinsed and drained, 2 x 14oz cans garbanzo beans
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries chopped, Turkish apricots would work beautifully here too
- 1 preserved lemon rind only, finely chopped
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs soy sauce, gluten-free variety if needed
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt or coconut yogurt for vegan version
- 1/3 cup pistachios roughly chopped
- Pomegranate Molasses to serve
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl add the onions, garlic, cranberries, preserved lemon, spices, olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a large bowl. Toss to combine and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Line a serving bowl with the baby spinach leaves and top with the chickpeas and parsley. Top with the yoghurt, pistachios and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses.