This simple, delicious and easy Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe features an exotic blend of spices, topped with yogurt, pistachios & pomegranate molasses.
Despite the fact that it's spring, you could easily be fooled into thinking it's summer. And in our house warm days mean salads.
Lots of salads, because I don't like to just serve one salad with dinner. I like variety - but there is one salad I could eat bowls and bowls of, and that is this Moroccan Chickpea Salad.
This gorgeous, colorful easy Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe is a definite favorite of mine. I first had it at my friend Amanda's, of Lambs' Ears and Honey, and have since adapted it to my own taste.
How to Make Moroccan Chickpea Salad
Nutty chickpeas are coated in smoky paprika, cinnamon and cumin. To this, preserved lemon is added along with red onion, garlic, lemon juice, dried cranberries and extra virgin olive oil.
This chickpea salad is delicious and filling. In fact, I love this chickpea salad recipe so much that I've had it for lunch most days this week!
It's even more delicious the next day when the spices have had more time to intermingle, which makes it a great recipe for meal planning too.
Want more delicious recipes?
Grab a free copy of my top 15 reader-favorite recipes! It's loaded with tasty vegetarian-friendly recipes that will take your dinner from boring to amazing in no time at all!
Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe
- 28 oz chickpeas rinsed and drained, 2 cans
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup dried cranberries chopped, Turkish apricots would work well here too
- 1 preserved lemon rind only, finely chopped
- 1 lemon juice only
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce gluten-free variety if needed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt for vegan version
- ⅓ cup pistachios roughly chopped
- Pomegranate Molasses to serve
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl add the onions, garlic, cranberries, preserved lemon, spices, olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a large bowl. Toss to combine and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Line a serving bowl with the baby spinach leaves and top with the chickpeas and parsley. Top with the yoghurt, pistachios and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses.