Anyone would think I have shares in a mushroom farm based on how often I feature them in recipes. I don't. But I do love how healthy, delicious and versatile mushrooms are, and that they are in abundance year round, which is why they make their way into so many of the dishes I cook.
When I was asked by Australian Mushroom Growers Association to develop a summer mushroom recipe as part of their Summer Mushrooms campaign, Mushroom and Quinoa San Choi Bao immediately came to mind. It's a dish my husband and I already love, and is something that satisfies both meat eaters and vegetarians alike.
Finely diced mushrooms take the place of pork mince, with a small amount of quinoa added for a protein boost. Wrapped in crisp baby cos (gem) lettuce leaves, this vegetarian san choi bao is substantial and yet light and refreshing all at the same time. All the classic flavours of san choi bao are here, and I think, my vegan mushroom version, tastes every bit as delicious, thanks to the almost meaty quality of mushrooms.
Eat smart this summer – eat mushrooms for your chance to WIN a holiday!
You know I love mushrooms, but there are even more reasons to love mushrooms this summer. Not only is eating mushrooms is insanely good for you, and not to mention super delicious, buying mushrooms couldwin you a fantastic trip to an exotic location overseas with the “Mushroom Miles – where would you rather be?” promotion!!
To get you in the mood for eating more mushrooms, the Power of Mushrooms is giving you the chance to share in $50,000 of holidays! The more often you buy mushrooms, the greater your chance to win!
There are 3 tiers of travel, so the more mushrooms you buy each time you go shopping, the further you could travel!
200g – $5,000 holiday
300g – $10,000 holiday
400g – $20,000 holiday
There are also 12 luxury weekend getaways and mini breaks to give away over summer.
So each time you go shopping, make sure you have at least 200g of mushrooms on your list, then head to the Power of Mushrooms website and enter your details along with your receipt for your chance to win! Good luck!
Mushroom & Quinoa San Choi Bao recipe
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 ½ cups finely chopped button mushrooms 300g
- ⅓ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbs soy sauce, gluten-free variety if needed look for a gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbs kecap manis
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 leaves baby cos lettuce separated and washed
- lime wedges to serve
- finely sliced red chili to serve
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over a high heat until hot. Add the peanut oil along with the mushrooms, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or fragrant and the moisture has been released from the mushrooms.
- Add the Chinese cooking wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Add the quinoa, spring onions, soy sauce, kecap manis and sesame oil and cook until the liquid has been absorbed. Add the coriander and stir through.
- Spoon the mixture into lettuce leaves and serve with wedges of lime and red chili.
This post was sponsored by Australian Mushroom Growers Association. As always, all opinions are my own.