It's finally here. Our wedding day!
I can't quite believe it. It almost doesn't feel real, but today I'll be marrying my best friend and the love of my life. He's the man who makes me laugh, the gentleman who always opens the car door for me and the man who always holds my hand whenever we walk anywhere even when we are just sitting on the couch together.
He's the man who sometimes acts like a little boy in his love of toys and all things Lego, who rolls his eyes yet still hugs me when I'm being hormonal and who raves to friends and colleagues about my cooking. He encourages me to follow my passions and cheers me up when I'm feeling low. And while to everyone else he might not be perfect, in my eyes he is and apparently in his eyes I am too.
We've survived the first year of our relationship living at different ends of the country and an overseas deployment before we could finally be together. And even though, one night, a little over 4 years ago, when we had our first date, I was suddenly overcome with the thought "this is the man I'm going to marry", I still had no idea that today would actually happen.
So today, at 11 am, we'll be saying "I do". I'll no longer be a Miss and will finally become a Mrs, his Mrs.
While you can't all be there to share our special day (although I hope to share a few photos when we return from our honeymoon) I can share this Ombre Wedding Cake with you. Four layers of chocolate cake filled with vanilla buttercream and coated in a pretty ombre frosting.
I know it's not perfect, I'm still quite new to layer cakes and frosting, but I'm pretty happy with the end result. And while I hadn't planned on having a wedding cake, I think this will do 😀
Red Velvet Ombre Wedding Cake
- 100 g of cocoa powder sifted
- 200 g of dark muscovado sugar
- 500 ml of boiling water
- 250 g of unsalted butter room temperature
- 300 g of caster sugar
- 450 g of plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbs of vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- OMBRE FROSTING
- 500 g of unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 kilogram of icing sugar powdered
- 1 tbs of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of milk
- Gel food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (355 Fahrenheit). Grease 4 20cm non-stick spring form cake tins or of you only have 2 tins prepare the 2 tins and bake in batches.
- Combine the cocoa and dark muscovado sugar in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Whisk to combine, ensuring there are no lumps of cocoa and set aside.
- In an electric mixer cream the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Switch the mixer to low and add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda alternately with the cocoa mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Place the tins on a wire wrack and cool in the tins for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the tins to cool completely.
- Once the cakes have cooled use a knife to level the top of each cake.
- To make the frosting add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and cream the butter until it is well mixed. Gradually add the sugar and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 min. Add the vanilla extract and mix through. Slowly stream in the milk until the frosting is soft, smooth and spreadable.
- Remove ⅓ of the frosting from the bowl and divide between 2 smaller bowls. Place a few drops of red colouring in one bowl and a few drops of the purple colouring into the other bowl. Mix the frosting until well mixed and add more colouring if you want a more intense colour.
- In the mixing bowl add the pink food colouring and mix until well combined.
- Place one layer of cake a cake stand and using an offset spatula spread with frosting. Top with the next layer of cake and repeat until you reach the final layer of cake. Coat the top of the cake with frosting and lightly coat the sides of the cake. Smooth and remove any excess and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and starting at the bottom, spread the red frosting around the bottom third of the cake. You will need it relatively thick to start with so it's best to sort of dollop it on. Don't smooth it yet. Next add the lilac frosting to the middle third of the cake and again dollop it on, making sure it doesn't drip into the red frosting. Finally, coat the top and the remaining top third of the cake with the pink frosting.
- Use the offset spatula to smooth the sides and tops of the cake, scraping off any excess frosting as necessary.
The Squishy Monster says
Oh, how gorgeous! And congratulations!! What a GREAT way to kick start a lifetime of bliss. =)
Melanie @ Easy Recipes With Pictures says
Congratulations on your marriage!!! What a gorgeous cake!
Congratulations! Hope you are still off having an amazing honeymoon.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says
Congrats on your wedding, sweetie. And what a perfectly gorgeous cake in the honor 🙂
Iron Chef Shellie says
A bit late to the party but.. OMG you're married!!! congratulations!! xoxo
I didnt see this earlier. By now you are well and truely a Mrs and I hope you are enjoying it. Hope to see you back with lots of pictures soon
I really like those colors! it's such a pretty cake
erin @ yummy supper says
I hope you wedding was fantastic and that you guys have been having a good honeymoon. How can it be bad when you are going to 11 Madison Park;)
Wishing you all the best,
oh dear this is gorgeous and I wish you both loads of laugh, joy, happiness and lots of love 🙂
lizzie - strayed from the table says
The cake looks wonderful, congratulations for your big day. Welcome to the world of being a 'mrs' - it is new experience. would love to see some photos.
Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice says
Congrats Congrats Congrats Jennifer!!!! I'm so excited for you and wish you all the warmest wishes for a lifetime of happiness together. I hope you two are off on a honeymoon together now and enjoying every minute. Having just tied the knot myself, I understand the overwhelming joy you are experiencing and wish for you that it lasts forevermore.
Jen Laceda @ Tartine and Apron Strings says
Congratulations, Jennifer! The cake looks stunning!
Woo Hoo!!!! Congratulations!!! I wish you an abundance of glorious days filled with magical moments and love xx
Russell van Kraayenburg says
This cake looks fantastic. What a way to celebrate such a magical day! Congratulations!
CONGRATULATIONS :D!!!!! I cant wait to see more pics! I adore you cake 🙂
Thanh @ eat, little bird says
Congratulations!!! How exciting!!! You are now married 🙂 I hope you had a wonderful day filled with lots of love, laughter and good food. I also hope the outfit and hair turned out just as you had hoped 🙂 Have the most fabulous honeymoon and we all look forward to your wonderful photos and stories on your return. Thanh xx
Lisa H. says
Our Congratulations to Jen and Hubby ...
and the cake is beautiful.
Looking forward to your wedding photos 🙂
how utterly flawless - i am in awe! this is cake heaven..
Erin @ she cooks, she gardens says
oops, I meant to say 'kudos on making your own cake'. 🙂
Erin @ she cooks, she gardend says
Congratulations to you both and kudos on making your own. I hope you had a magical day and a wonderful honeymoon.xx
Congratulations to you and your love! I hope the day was full of love, laughter, and memorable moments. Today you start a journey that becomes the rest of your life. Love one another, care for one another, listen to one another. Remember, you will never be alone as long as you have love.
Congratulation and I wish you both a very happy life together with many blessings! Beautiful cake and photography! 🙂 🙂
Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats says
This cake is stunning and I love pink ;). CONGRATULATIONS Jennifer! May you and your hubby have a blissful and prosperous life. Cheers, Jo
Hugs and warmest wishes on your wedding day! May each day together be blissful and as sweet as this gorgeous wedding cake! I'm so happy for you!!
What a beautiful cake! Congratulations on your big day!
Suzanne Perazzini says
What a delightful love story and may you always be as happy as you are today! I love the cake - it is such a refreshing change from the over-thought, over-constructed cakes that are usually at a wedding.
Congratulations on your wedding! Have a magnificent day! Your cake is irresistible, the ombré frosting is perfect for your celebration.
Congratulations Jennifer. By the time you read this, you will be a Mrs!!! Hope your day is beyond wonderful and I wish you the best 🙂
HUGE congratulations and what a gorgeous cake! Loving the photos you've been posting on Twitter.
I've never made ombre cake but would love to try - this looks so pretty!
Gail Andrejic says
Congratulations to you Jennifer.
Your words were so lovely, made me want to marry my husband all over again.
I hope you enjoyed your day and your cake (which by the way looked awesome - I so love pink).
Choc Chip Uru says
The biggest congrats ever my friend 😀
And stunning cake!
Choc Chip Uru
Oh, I am ever so happy for you! Congratulations! Will be thinking of you.
That cake looks amauing! So pretty.
By the way, we want pictures of the wedding... ;-P
Dawn Taylor says
Whooohooo, awesome, awesome. The cake looks just right. Hope you had the most wonderful day.
What an amazing looking wedding cake. I hope that you have a fantastic day today.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef says
I got a bit teary and sniffly over this post. The cake is lovely and I wish you every happiness and joy together.
Oh, congratulations!! I so look forward to some wedding photos! Have a beautiful wedding day and blissful honeymoon.
The cake is so lovely....
Kerry Davenport says
What a brilliant way to start the week!! Congratulations on choosing to marry your best friend. I love the cake and intend to make one just the same later this week. I'll let you know how I get on.
Love and best wishes to you both.
Claire @ Claire K Creations says
Jen you will be a Mrs by now but I hope the day was absolutely perfect. You brought tears to my eyes (happy eyes) with your story!
I wish you both every happiness and can't wait to see some photos of your amazing day.
Enjoy your honeymoon xxx
Your cake looks absolutely stunning! Congratulations on such a happy day 🙂
jenny @ the happy purpose says
wishing you a wonderful wedding day today. it is a perfect day here in Brisbane so i know that it will be glorious up there in beautiful Noosa.
thinking of you on your special day and cannot wait to see and read all about it (and your honeymoon in the USA!)
Congratulations on your wedding day! It is an absolutely gorgeous and perfect cake. It's a cake made with love and it shows. Wishing you a beautiful new chapter in your lives together.
A HUGE congratulation to you Jennifer and best of luck on probably the biggest day of you life. Best wishes for a forever with the love of your life.
gorgeous cake. Love the pretty colors. You have done it well.
Martyna @ Wholesome Cook says
Congratulations Mr and Mrs LeDelicious Everyday! Your cake is beautiful 🙂 Love, laugh and enjoy life together.
Sneh | Cook Republic says
What a gorgeous cake. You must be exchanging vows as I write this and I want to wish you both a lifetime of love and beautiful memories! Congratulations and God Bless! Have a beautiful honeymoon 🙂
CONGRATULATIONS!! Sooo exciting! Hope the wedding goes super smoothly and without a hitch!!!
How lovely that you made your own cake - its so beautiful!
Can't wait to see wedding pics ! 🙂
Congratulations again Jennifer 🙂 I'm so happy for you! This is an amazing cake and I love how high and tall it is! You've done a wonderful job with the frosting and tinting the colours ~
I wish you and your hubby all the very best in the next chapter of your lives together!!!
Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon xox
Hotly Spiced says
Congratulations on your big day. How exciting. I hope it all goes well, that you have an amazing honeymoon and that you hurry back to share some photos with us! I love the wedding cake and think you're very clever. The icing is so pretty and I love the colours - that would take some skill I'm sure xx
Lots of good wishes coming your way!
This cake looks just gorgeous, Jen, as I'm sure you will.
Wishing you both much love and happiness always.
That cake looks amazing! Congratulations on getting married, hope the wedding day is everything you wished for 🙂
Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking says
the cake looks amazing Jennifer! Enjoy your big day! All the best!
Christina @ The Hungry Australian says
Gorgeous cake, Jennifer. I think you did a fantastic job!
Sending you lots of love today on your special day.
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
You cake looks just beautiful! Congratulations again and best wishes for your happy day :).