These gluten free Parsnip Latkes are topped with a dairy free mustard cashew cream and honey roasted apples. Make mini latkes for the perfect party appetiser.
These parsnip fritters were born of a desire to find a new way to enjoy one of my favourite vegetables - the humble parsnip.
Traditionally I'll roast them so they become lovely and caramelised, sometimes I'll serve them mashed with carrots (one of my childhood favourites) or even slip them into a parsnip risotto. But these latkes have shot to the top of the favourite list.
The parsnip fritters come together quickly, and transform from a pale creamy beige to a beautiful crunchy golden latke in no time at all. However it is what tops the parsnip latkes that really makes them shine.
Topped with a dairy free mustard cashew cream (which is so close to a cream based sauce it had my husband fooled) and sweet honey roasted apples the parsnip latkes become something special that would be as welcome over a few Friday night drinks as they would be at a fancy dinner party. Admittedly the accompanying mustard cashew cream and honey roasted
Admittedly the accompanying mustard cashew cream and honey roasted apples do require a little more time, but, in my opinion, they are definitely worth it.
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to see! Share your photo on Instagram and use the hashtag #deliciouseveryday for a chance to be featured or share it on my Facebook page.
Want more delicious recipes?
Subscribe to the Delicious Everyday weekly newsletter. It's FREE! As a subscriber bonus, I'll also send you my guide to pantry essentials for delicious everyday meals.
Parsnip Latkes with Mustard Cashew Cream and Honey Roasted Apples
- 650 g parsnips grated, 1 ½ pounds
- 6 spring onions finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ⅓ cup flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour (also called garbanzo or besan flour)
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- olive oil for fryin
- MUSTARD CASHEW CREAM:
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight
- 1 ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- HONEY ROASTED APPLES:
- 2 slices apples cored and cut into thick
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Combine the parsnip, spring onions, parsley, garlic, chickpea flour and salt in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the beaten egg and stir until the egg is evenly distributed through the mixture.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and cover the base of pan with oil. Add spoonfuls of the mixture and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden. Place on a plate lined with paper towel to drain for a few minutes before transferring the latkes to the oven to keep warm while you cook the remainder.
- While the latkes are cooking preheat the oven to 180 (350 fahrenheit) and toss the apples, honey and olive oil together in a small bowel and place in foil and wrap up tightly. Place in a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- To make the cashew cream drain the cashews and place in a blender along with the mustard and lemon juice. Blend until smooth and season to taste.