This Pina Colada Poke Cake is bursting with flavor from fresh pineapples, rum, and pina colada mix! It’s like dessert and a cocktail, all in one bite. Plus it’s incredibly fun and easy to make – it’s sure to liven up your next summer gathering.
What’s with the poke cakes?
One look at Pinterest tells me that I’m a bit late to the poke cake party. These things are uber popular all of a sudden, and now I understand why.
They’re so incredibly fun and easy to make! A poke cake is literally what it sounds like. You make a cake- then poke holes in it – and stuff those holes with whatever delicious concoction your heart desires.
In the case of this pina colada poke case – we are stuffing it with pina coladas. Yep, because who doesn’t want to eat a pina colada cake?
If you love the concept of poke cakes, be sure to check out my triple chocolate poke cake as well. It’s crazy indulgent and super easy.
Let’s Make Pina Colada Poke Cake!
So let’s do it.
The first step is to prepare the cake itself. I’ve used a homemade white cake recipe, and mixed in some fresh pineapples for the total pina colada experience.
But if you want to make this even easier on yourself, you can substitute a store bought white cake mix. Just mix the pineapples in before you pour the batter into your baking pan.
Once you’re cake is baked – you’ll want to let it cool slightly so that it’s easier to handle.
Then, use the back of a spoon to plunge little holes all over your cake. This is where we will put all the yummy stuff!
To prepare the poke cake filling, mix together pina colada mix, rum, and coconut cream pudding. Now, it should be pretty simple to find the coconut cream flavored pudding, but you can also substitute vanilla if you prefer.
Next, spread your filling all across the top of the cake, and use a spoon to push it down into all of the holes you made.
For the pina colada infused whipped cream – simply take some frozen whipped topping and mix it with a bit more pina colada mix. And a bit more rum – why not?
Spread the whipped topping all across the top of the cake, and top with a bit of plain whipped cream.
Chill the whole cake in the fridge for about three hours, to get everything firm and cool.
Garnish with a little bit of fresh pineapple, and serve your pina colada poke cake!
Pina Colada Poke Cake
- 1 1/4 cup Pina colada drink mix
- 1/3 cup rum plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3 oz coconut cream pudding mix
- 2 8 ounce tub whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (butter, egg whites, milk, vanilla extract) for the white cake layer.
- In a separate larger bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the white cake layer (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt).
- Mix together the dry and wet ingredients to form the cake batter. Use an electric mixer to make this easier, if you have one.
- Fold the fresh pineapples into the cake batter with a spatula.
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour cake batter into baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool until it can be safely handled.
- Using the back of a spoon, or other utensil, poke cake all over to form holes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the pudding mix with 1 cup of the Pina Colada drink mix and the rum.
- Pour over the cake and spread around to make sure it gets in the holes.
- Mix together one container whipped topping with the remaining 1/4 cup of Pina Colada mix and 2 tablespoons rum.
- Spread this over the top of the cake and then top with remaining whipped cream.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour to chill.
- If desired, top with fresh pineapple to garnish. Serve!