Whip up this Vegan Minestrone Soup for dinner tonight! Just follow along with this healthy and vegetable-packed classic minestrone soup recipe. This one bowl dinner is loaded with kidney beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, flavorful broth, and pasta.
This hearty plant-based soup takes just 30 minutes to throw together - making it perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
This Vegan Minestrone Soup is...
- A classic recipe
- Full of flavor
- Packed with healthy veggies and fiber!
- Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly
- Great for meal prep.
Making Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Start by heating up some oil in a pot. Add in your vegetables and sauté until softened.
- Now add in the kidney beans, spices, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Break down the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Then add the potatoes, pasta, and stock. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Once the pasta is fully cooked, stir and serve up the minestrone soup.
Measurements and complete directions are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips and Tricks
One thing I recommend is having a heavy-bottom pot. This will help your soup to cook evenly.
A Dutch oven, or even a nice stockpot, would also be great for cooking soups and stews. You will find that lighter-bottomed pans can burn in spots or create uneven cooking.
It's very important to make sure your vegetables are evenly diced. That way they all cook evenly. Otherwise, some veggies will be underdone and some overcooked.
Go ahead and swap out the kidney beans with pinto beans or white cannellini beans if you want. Or try a mix of two types of beans for more variety.
Take advantage of any seasonal produce you might have around the house. Just about any veggies will work here. Zucchini and summer squash are both great additions to this plant based soup.
Try stirring in some coconut milk. Cream is often added to soups to get a creamy texture, and coconut milk is a wonderful vegan-friendly alternative.
Can you freeze minestrone soup?
Yes, you can freeze minestrone soup. The pasta will be softer in texture after freezing, but it will still be delicious when reheated.
Just store your leftover soup in an airtight container and pop it in the freezer. Make sure to leave a little room at the top of the container to ensure the soup has room to expand.
How long can you store leftover minestrone soup?
You can store the soup in the refrigerator for 4–5 days, in an air tight container. Reheat on low heat on the stovetop, or microwave.
What to serve with this minestrone soup?
Reach for some bread, breadsticks, or even a salad to serve alongside this tasty minestrone soup. Even a half sandwich could be great alongside this tasty soup.
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
Vegan Minestrone Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- ⅓ Cup celery stalks chopped
- ⅓ Cup carrots chopped
- 1 can whole fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- 1 Tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 large potato diced
- 2 Cups pasta
- 5 Cups stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley and parmesan cheese, for topping
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot and cook until softened, around 5 minutes.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes, kidney beans, and spices and stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes. With the help of a wooden spatula, roughly break down the tomatoes.
- Add the potatoes, pasta, and stock. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes or until the pasta is done.
- Dice the potatoes in small pieces so they cook at the same speed as the pasta.
- Top your soup with a fresh crack of pepper, a pinch of parmesan cheese, and some chopped parsley.
- You can refrigerate minestrone soup for up to 2 days.