Normally when each Sweet Adventures Blog Hop comes around I make something decadent and a little over the top, like my Black Dahlia Cake. This time though I wanted to go down the rustic path and make something a little more simple. I also wanted to make it sugar free too.
I’ve been experimenting with using Brown Rice Syrup as a sugar substitute for some time and the results so far have been fantastic, especially when it comes to muffins, but I’d yet to try it in a pastry recipe. I’m pleased to report it worked wonderfully. I also substituted white flour for wholemeal, which gives the strawberry galette a lovely crumbliness and which I think adds to the overall rustic quality.
While I could have gone with a completely fruit laden galette I ultimately decided upon a mascarpone base. When baked, it somewhat resembles a set custard. The creamy base makes it perfect on it’s own, without the need for cream or ice cream, as the tart is really not that sweet with the only sweetness coming from the fruit, but feel free to add them if you like. Enjoy the Strawberry and Mascarpone Galette warm or at room temperature the day it’s made.
Strawberry and Mascarpone Galette
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 3 tsp of brown rice syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 115 g of cold butter cut into cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 200 g of strawberries hulled and cut in half
- 100 g of mascarpone
- 4 tbs of brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg lightly beaten.
- Begin by making the dough. Add the flour and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on a low speed to combine. Add the butter and mix on a low speed until the butter is roughly the size of walnuts.
- Combine the brown rice syrup, egg yolk and cream in a small bowl and mix to combine. With the mixer on low slowly drizzle in the egg yolk mixture until incorporated.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured bench. Don't worry, it will be very shaggy in appearance, and use the palm of your hand to push the dough forward and flatten it. Finally form into a disc and wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Combine the strawberries in a bowl with 2 tbs of brown rice syrup and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the mascarpone, lemon zest and remaining brown rice syrup. Mix to combine before adding the egg.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and place on some lightly floured baking paper. Roll into a circle approximately 30cm in diameter. Slide the pastry onto a baking tray and spread the mascarpone mixture in the center of the dough, leaving a border of about 6cm. Top the mascarpone mixture with the strawberries. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.