A beautiful homemade simple syrup (or cordial) made from fresh strawberries, rhubarb and lime. Add this gorgeous strawberry, lime and rhubarb syrup to sparkling water for a wonderful refreshing drink which also works wonderfully with a splash of gin!
The creation of this recipe has been sponsored by Sodastream.
When it comes to what I drink, I have to admit to being a tad boring. The list is rather small, and for many, perhaps, completely unexciting.
My day starts with a cup of tea, then I move onto filtered water. Around lunch time I switch the still water for sparkling water, which I make in my Sodastream. This is followed by more tea and more water. Some nights I like a glass of champagne. Or an occassional pre-dinner cocktail, like an Amaretto Sour or a Cucumber and Elderflower Collins. Things like smoothies are a very rare treat, which it seems everyone in the world is into.
My lack of variety in regards to what I drink hasn’t really been a conscious decision. I tend to naturally prefer water, and if I’m going to consume calories, I’d rather it be in the form of food or a cocktail. Which, to me at least, is much more of a treat than a smoothie or juice. Albeit a rarer one.
And this strawberry, lime and rhubarb syrup is a wonderful treat that lends itself brilliantly to both cocktails and mocktails. It is gorgeously ruby hued, thanks to the forced rhubarb that my favourite stall holder at my local markets sells, along with their beautiful tubs of watercress and salad greens.
Rhubarb can be a love or hate it thing. Growing up I really didn’t like it, however, over the years that has changed and I’m now an ardent lover of all things rhubarb. That being said, it can be quite tart, so I like to counter some of that sharpness with the sweetness of strawberries. The finishing touch is a little lime. Both zest and juice, which adds a lovely brightness.
As for how you can use this gorgeous strawberry, lime and rhubarb syrup, well, really, the options are endless. Simply add to a glass of sparkling water for a beautifully refreshing summer drink. If you feel like celebrating, add a splash of gin too, or vodka.
So tell me, what is your favourite thing to drink?
Don’t forget to enter my Sodastream giveaway
Strawberry, Lime and Rhubarb Syrup Sparkler
- 200 g rhubarb chopped, 7 oz
- 250 g strawberries chopped, 9 oz
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 2 cups water
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 60 ml syrup 2 oz, recipe above
- sparkling water
- lime for garnish
- To make the syrup place the rhubarb, strawberry, sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over a medium low heat, and once simmering, reduce to low and cook for 20 minutes or until the fruit is soft and the syrup is gorgeously pigmented from the fruit.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a bowl or jug and pour the syrup over the strainer and leave for 5 to 10 minutes. Don't push the fruit through the sieve otherwise it will cloud the syrup too much. Add the lime zest and juice to the syrup and leave to cool completely.
- To make the sparkler place the syrup in a lowball glass, top with ice and sparkling water. Garnish with a wedge or wheel of lime.
This recipe was sponsored by Sodastream. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep Delicious Everyday delivering free recipes to your kitchen!