This Homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is packed with flavor and perfectly complements any dish. It’s completely vegan, too!
This recipe is so simple you’ll never need to buy pre-made pesto again. All you do is throw the ingredients in a food processor and voila! You have some tasty homemade pesto!
It goes great with pasta, in salads, and on breads and pizza—like this tasty Dill Soda Bread or Vegan Pizza. A little bit of this will go a long way!
This sun-dried tomato pesto recipe is...
- ready in 5 minutes
And for more delicious recipes, don't forget to grab a free copy of my Top 15 Reader-Favorite Recipes before you go!
How to Make Homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Put sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, parsley, garlic, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Blend the ingredients together until it forms a thick paste.
- Add it to your pasta, bread, or salad and enjoy!
Scroll down for the full recipe with measurements and detailed instructions.
Tips & Tricks
Food Processor Alternatives
If you don’t have a food processor, you have a couple options. You can use a high-power blender or even a mortar and pestle.
Make It Green
If you prefer basil pesto to sun-dried tomato pesto, then switch out the sun-dried tomatoes for some fresh basil. Play around with different amounts of basil to find the perfect ratio for your taste buds.
Many pesto recipes use pine nuts instead of walnuts. This will change the overall flavor of the pesto though, so experiment using both nuts.
If you’d like to add cheese, you might try adding some vegan cheese.
Or, make it vegan using nutritional yeast as a flavor enhancer.
Homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto FAQs
How long does sun-dried tomato pesto last?
Your sun-dried tomato pesto will last about a week in the fridge. It will firm up, so just let it return to room temperature before using it again.
If you have leftovers, you can also freeze the pesto for about 6 months.
If you love vegan cooking, make sure you grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet while you’re here. It’s packed with all my favorite plant-based substitutions to help you vegan-ize any recipe!
Homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Recipe
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- ¾ cup walnuts, halved
- ¾ cup parsley leaves, fresh
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Food Processor
- In a food processor, combine sun dried tomatoes, walnuts, parsley, garlic, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Blend the ingredients together for 3–4 minutes until it forms a thick paste.
- Stir in cheese, if using.
- Taste and stir in additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Use it as a sauce, dressing, or spread.
- Keep refrigerated for up to a week or store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To keep it vegan/dairy-free: add some nutritional yeast for some cheese-like flavor.
- To make it nut free: skip the walnuts or any nut substitute altogether.
What Do You Think?