Get warmed up from your head to your toes with this comforting Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup . It's the classic soup we all know and love - minus the chicken. It's loaded with fresh veggies, protein-rich chickpeas in place of the chicken, and a savory veggie broth. And it cooks up quickly in a single pot!
I don’t know very many people who don’t love a big bowl of soup on a cool night. It warms your entire body, inside and out. Comfort food at it's best!
So today we've remade the well-loved classic chicken noodle soup, using protein-packed chickpeas in place of the traditional chicken. Hmmm.. maybe we should call it "chickpea noodle soup" instead.
Regardless, this recipe is well on its way to becoming my new favorite vegan soup!
It's simple to throw together with basic ingredients that you probably already have on hand. And the whole things cooks up in a single pot - so it's easy to clean up after too. (And you guys know I love a good one-pot recipe.)
This vegan chicken noodle soup is:
- Simple and delicious.
- A quick and easy weeknight dinner.
- Packed with healthy ingredients.
- 100% Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly
How to Make Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Prep - Add the butter, celery, and onions to a pot and saute for 7-10 minutes. Add the onion and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add other ingredients - Add everything else, except the noodles. Stir and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the noodles - Pour the noodles, uncooked, into the pot and simmer until noodles have softened. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
Storage - Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. You can definitely freeze this chicken noodle soup as well. Simply place it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating - Reheat in the microwave, covered, or in a soup pot over the stove. Be sure the noodles are down in the broth when reheating in the microwave or they will dry out.
Use oil instead of butter - If you don’t have any vegan-friendly butter on hand, you can use oil in its place. I like using avocado oil, but coconut oil will also do the trick.
Picking the noodles - I used a wide rice noodle, which is similar to a traditional egg noodles, but without the eggs. You can choose any type of wide noodle you prefer. Or even switch things up and try elbow macaroni, bowtie pasta, or rigatoni. Any of these options will do the trick.
Add more vegetables - You can add more celery and carrots if you prefer. You can also add in other veggies if you desire, like squash, leek, green onions, etc. This is a great way to use up what you have!
Add more broth - If you like an extra brothy soup, simply add a bit more broth to the recipe. You can’t hurt the soup by adding a lot of broth, it will just be super brothy.
Swap out the chickpeas - If you don’t love chickpeas, you can use a few other vegan substitutes for chicken. You can try a pre-packaged vegan "chicken" product. I particularly like this one from Gardein, although I would save the sauce to use in another dish. You can also use tofu, chopped up into smaller pieces, and lightly fried before adding it. Or you could just omit the chickpeas and add extra veggies instead!
Common Questions About Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Can Vegans Eat Chicken Noodle Soup?
Of course, real chicken noodle soup isn’t vegan due to the chicken broth and chicken meat used in it. But this vegan-friendly chicken noodle soup uses vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and swaps out the chicken for protein-rich chickpeas instead.
Is Campbell's Soup Vegan?
While not all of Campbell’s soups are vegan or vegetarian, they do offer a line of soups that have vegan and vegetarian options. Campbell’s line of soups called “Well, YES!” are made to be sipping soups or an easy on-the-go option. This line is almost entirely vegan and vegetarian. I say, three cheers for Campbell’s offering this option! Check them out here.
If you decided to give this Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup a try, please let me know in the comments below or on social media!
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like:
If you love this vegan chicken noodle soup, be sure to check out these other delicious vegan soup recipes:
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- 12 Ounces Egg-Free Wide Noodles such as rice noodles
- 15 Ounces Chickpeas canned, drained and rinsed
- 7 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 3 Celery Stalks chopped
- 4 Carrots chopped
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Butter or oil
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add the vegan butter to a large pot or dutch oven and once melted, add the vegetables, except the onion and chickpeas, and saute for 7-10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are softened, add the onion and saute another two minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the noodles and bring to a gentle boil.
- Let simmer for about 7 minutes then add the noodles.
- Once the noodles are cooked through (see package directions), serve, and enjoy!