Quick simple and comforting this Vegan Corn Chowder is creamy without all the fat and packed full of veggies for a delicious and satisfying meal.
It has been raining on and off here the last few days (it never seems to rain for more than 5 minutes at a time though!).
Rain always leads to cravings for big comforting bowls of soup, such as this hearty and comforting creamy Vegan Corn Chowder soup.
While I love smooth creamy soups as much as the next person, texture wins hands down for me. This smooth creamy quick vegan corn chowder is packed full of flavour and a little texture thanks to pan fried golden corn.
As much as I love a soup blipping and bubbling away on the stove for a couple of hours, I also love a quick soup. Rich, creamy and comforting yet healthy at the same time.
You can dress this quick soup up or down with as many add-ins as you like! My favourite additions are, of course, golden pan-fried corn, a squeeze of lime, coriander (cilantro) leaves and a swirl of vegan cashew cream (or sour cream if you can tolerate dairy). An additional sprinkle of smoked paprika also really amps up the flavour.
So tell me, are you a chowder lover? What is your favourite way to eat corn?
Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 ½ tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 sweet potatoes ) peeled and diced, approx 300g (10oz
- ½ cup roughly chopped chargrilled red capsicum bell pepper
- 1.25 cups litres vegetable stock 5
- 3 corn cobs kernels removed
- salt and pepper
- TO SERVE:
- lime wedges
- vegan cashew cream or sour cream
- leaves coriander cilantro
- smoked paprika
- Preheat a large saucepan over a medium low heat. Add half the oil along with onion and celery and cook until the onion is golden. Add the spices and cook until fragrant before adding the sweet potato. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes before adding the stock and capsicum (pepper).
- Meanwhile, add the remaining oil to a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the corn until tender and golden.
- Add ⅔ of the corn to the soup. When the sweet potato is tender use a blender or immersion blender and puree until smooth. Add seasonings to taste.
- To serve divide the soup between 4 bowls and garnish with the remaining corn kernels, cashew cream, coriander, smoked paprika and a big squeeze of lime.
What Do You Think?