This one-pot vegan mushroom soup is hearty, delicious, and ready in under 30 minutes. It’s packed with flavor from smoked paprika and turmeric, and the coconut milk adds the perfect touch of creamy goodness!
There’re not many things better than a piping hot bowl of soup on a chilly night. It’s one of life’s best comfort foods.
Mushroom soup has always been one of my favorites. OK, everything with mushrooms is a favorite. (See this mushroom wellington as evidence!)
But I especially love this simple soup, which easy to cook up with ingredients that are nearly always in pantry.
This vegan mushroom soup is:
- An easy one-pot vegan dinner!
- Brimming with delicious spices like turmeric and smoked paprika.
- A touch creamy thanks to the coconut milk.
- Ready in under 30 minutes.
- 100% vegan and vegetarian friendly.
- Totally delicious.
Tips for Perfect Vegan Mushroom Soup
Alternatives to Coconut Milk
I love the coconut milk in this mushroom soup, and the little touch of creaminess and flavor it adds.
But if you’re not a fan of coconut milk, you can simply omit it. Or replace it with your own favorite dairy-free milk, such as almond or cashew milk. I prefer this brand for my day-to-day cooking.
Adjust the seasoning at the end.
The amount of salt in your vegetable broth can vary wildly from brand to brand. So be sure to taste the soup as you cook, and again at the end, and adjust the salt and pepper accordingly.
The spices matter.
This is true of most dishes, but the quality of the spices you use really does impact the flavor of your finished dish.
I’ve had good luck with these Spice Island spices, which is what I used for the smoked paprika and turmeric in this vegan mushroom soup.
Love One-Pot Meals?
If you’re a fan of simple one-pot meals like this, make sure you check out my brand new cookbook, Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking! It’s packed with 75 one-pot vegan recipes for easy weeknight cooking.
Vegan Mushroom Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro chopped, for serving
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, until onions are softened. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add mushrooms and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are softened.
- Add the smoked paprika, turmeric, black pepper, and soy sauce. Stir.
- Add the cornstarch and cook, while stirring continuously, for 1 minute.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until warmed through.
- Add additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of cilantro.