Welcome the winter season with a big, warm bowl of this Vegan Potato Leek Soup. Popular in Scotland, this dish is easy, creamy, and comforting. It only takes a few ingredients and can be made in advance.
When the winter months hit, I sometimes feel like I’m making too much soup. However, even though I make it often, it always ends up being a hit.
One glance at my recipe list and you’ll definitely see how much we love soup around this house. I mean, can you blame us?!
Soup is one of the top comfort foods and makes a satisfying meal, no matter how many times you've had it before.
If you’re not familiar with leeks, that’s ok; not many people are.
Leeks sort of remind me of a milder artichoke. They have a light flavor, and are the perfect addition to many soup recipes.
Whichever soup you decide on, I guarantee you’ll love it.
If you love vegan cooking, make sure you grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet while you’re here. It’s packed with all my favorite plant-based substitutions to help you vegan-ize any recipe!
How to Make Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Prep - Chop the potatoes and melt the butter in a pot. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic.
- Add all ingredients - Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Stir, reduce, and let simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Blend - Remove half of the soup and blend until smooth. Add back to the pot and stir.
- Serve - Garnish with chopped green onions if desired, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
Storage - Store this potato soup recipe in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also store it in the freezer, in an airtight container, for up to 3 months.
Reheating - Reheat using the microwave or stove. You can also let the soup thaw on its own before beginning to heat it up. I tend to sit the soup out earlier in the day so it’s quicker to get it heated for dinner.
Don’t blend - If you don’t want to blend your soup, you definitely don’t have to. This is entirely up to. Blending it simply thickens it a bit. So, if you don’t, it won’t be as thick.
Make it thinner - If you prefer a thinner potato leek soup, simply skip the blending step or add more broth.
Make it thicker - Add a couple more potatoes to the soup in order to make it even thicker. You can also blend all of the soup ingredients instead of just half. This will help with the thickness as well.
Make it cheesy - Add some vegan shredded cheese to the finished soup and stir until it’s melted. This will make it even creamier.
Vegan Potato Leek Soup FAQs
What to Serve with Potato Leek Soup?
This soup recipe can act as a main course, as a side dish, or even as brunch. However you choose to serve it, there are countless ideas for sides to go with it.
Is Potato Leek Soup Gluten Free?
My potato leek soup recipe is naturally gluten free.
However, that doesn’t mean that all recipes like this one are also gluten free.
Based on the usual ingredients in a potato leek soup, odds are it’s going to be gluten free. Be that as it may, recipes can vary, so it’s always a good idea to double check ingredients in a recipe before assuming.
If you decided to give this Vegan Potato Leek Soup a try, please let me know in the comments below or on social media!
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Vegan White Bean Soup With Kale
- Vegan French Onion Soup
- Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Hazelnut Dukkah
- Lemon, Orzo and Fennel Soup
- Ginger Garlic Soup
And for more delicious recipes, don't forget to grab a free copy of my Top 15 Reader-Favorite Recipes before you go!
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Chop the potatoes into small chunks, no bigger than a grape. Leave the peel on or off—this is up to you.
- Add the butter to a medium pot or dutch oven. Once melted, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients, stir, and reduce heat to let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes and leeks are softened.
- Test seasonings and add more if needed.
- Remove half of the ingredients and place them in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place the blended soup back in with the rest of the soup. Stir well, serve, and enjoy!