This vegetable barley soup is the ultimate in healthy comfort food. Fresh seasonal veggies are simmered with heart-healthy barley in this easy one-pot soup.
With the recent spate of cold wet weather we've been having, I found myself craving a big bowl of soup.
I wanted something healthy (to make up for all the baking I've been doing recently) and satisfying, so I decided to make a vegetable and barley soup.
It helps of course that this is a one-pot recipe, making it simple to throw together during the week. (For more of my favorite one-pot recipes, grab this free printable e-book.)
Vegetable and barley soup reminds me of a soup my grand-mom used to make when I was a little girl. When we visited, we'd often find that she'd have a big pot of soup bubbling away on the stove.
I think this is where my love of soups comes from.....I guess that's also what happens when you grow up in the north, where the winters are bitterly cold.
Barley, if you're not familiar with it, is a grain derived from grass. It's health benefits include the fact it is high in both soluble and insoluble fiber, assists in lowering cholesterol and aids in regulating blood sugar.
Aside from it's health benefits, barley is super filling, making it a great addition to soups.
This vegetable barley soup is:
- Packed with nutritious veggies and healthy barley.
- Totally delicious.
- 100% vegan and vegetarian friendly
- Filling enough to serve for dinner.
- An easy one-pot vegetarian meal!
How to Make Vegetable Barley Soup
You won't believe how incredibly easy this hearty soup is to make!
Start off by cooking some onion, celery, shallot, and garlic in a bit of olive oil.
Add some fresh carrots, zucchini, parsnips, and mushrooms to the mix and cook until they are softened and just a bit caramelized.
Add ripe cherry tomatoes and a few sprigs of fresh thyme, and cook for a minute more.
Then pour in your vegetable stock, a can of diced tomatoes, and the barley. Cover your pot and cook for one hour, until the barley is tender.
Tips for Perfect Barley Soup
- If you want to take your soup to the next level, consider trying your hand at homemade vegetable broth. You won't believe the difference in taste compare to the store-bought variety! Grab my vegetable stock recipe here.
- Experiment with your own favorite mix of fresh veggies - you can mix and match this recipe to suit whatever produce is in season near you.
- For a gluten-free alternative, try substituting quinoa or brown rice for the barley.
- For more easy dinner ideas, be sure to grab this free printable of my favorite one-pot recipes.
Vegetable and Barley Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 8 mushrooms cleaned and diced
- 1 parsnip peeled and diced
- 2 zucchini diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes chopped into quarters
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 2 cups barley
- 8 ½ cups vegetable stock
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, saute the onion, shallot, celery and garlic in olive oil for 3-5 minutes, until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the carrot, parsnip, mushrooms and zucchini and cook for 8-10 more minutes, until they start to soften and slightly caramelize.
- Then add the cherry tomatoes and thyme and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, canned tomatoes and barley.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
And don't forget to download this free printable of all my favorite one-pot recipes!