Tuscan Bean Soup
A hearty and heartwarming soup for the coldest winter nights, or whenever you're feeling under the weather.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 servings
- 1 shallot peeled and diced
- 1 leek chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- teaspoon ½ of salt
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped finely
- 3 celery stalks halved and chopped
- 2 carrots quartered, peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini quartered and chopped
- 400 g tin Italian diced tomatoes 14 oz
- bunch cavolo nero stems removed and chopped, around 350g
- 400 g tin cannellini beans drained, 14 oz
- 400 g tin butter beans drained, 14 oz
- cup ½ of fresh basil chopped
- cup ½ of fresh parsley chopped
- 2 litres vegetable stock
Heat a large soup pot over a medium low heat and add the olive oil, leek, shallot, garlic, celery, salt, carrots and zucchini and cook slowly for 15 to 20 minutes so that the vegetables sweat out their flavours and don't brown.
Stir the tinned tomatoes into the vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
Add the cavolo nero stalks,, butter beans and cannellini beans, half the basil and parsley and stir through the mixture (I like to squash some of the beans into the mix at this point to release their flavour and help thicken the soup) and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock and bring the soup to the boil before lowering to a simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
Just before serving add the cavolo nero leaves and remaining basil and parsley.
Serve with your favourite crusty bread.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 263mg | Potassium: 660mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3795IU | Vitamin C: 15.8mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 4.2mg