This vegan salad is packed full of veggie goodness with raw zucchini noodles, tomato, mint and rocket (arugula) and spring onions. Toasted sunflower seeds sprinkled over the top add a deliciously nutty crunch.
I know, salads aren’t really a winter thing, but we had the most wonderful preview of spring weather here in Brisbane last weekend, that I just had to celebrate it with more weather appropriate fare. Out came my summer dresses (if only for a few days) along with this gorgeous, if messy looking salad.
Don’t get me wrong, I love winter comfort foods as much as anyone, however, after a while all that heavy food starts to make me feel weighed down, and not the happiest of campers. Salads, though, good wholesome salads, with a depth of flavour and a few things going on, make my heart sing, which is why I was all too ready to get my salad on when warmer weather struck.
The salad in question is a zucchini noodle salad. Springy raw zucchini noodles are tossed with a mix of tomatoes, spring onions, mint and watercress and spiked with a tart and tangy dressing of lemon juice, balsamic, white wine vinegar, garlic and extra virgin olive oil. I know it sounds like a lot of acid, but the combination of lemon, balsamic and white wine vinegar are what really makes this salad sing. The final flourish is a sprinkle of toasted sunflower seeds for a little nutty crunch.
So, if you’re ready to take a break from heavy winter fare these zucchini noodles make a great meal, and they would also make a wonderful side too.
Zucchini Noodle Salad
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow and red grape or cherry tomatoes quartered
- 6 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 cups rocket leaves arugula
- leaves big handful of mint roughly torn
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds toasted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Spiralize the zucchini using a spiralizer. Transfer the noodles to a fine mesh sieve and sit the sieve over a bowl and sprinkle with the salt and toss to combine. Leave the noodles for 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze the noodles gently to remove any excess liquid and add to a large bowl.
- Add the roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, spring onions, mint and rocket (arugula) and toss well to combine.
- Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a jar and shaking to combine. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat everything in the dressing. Sprinkle with toasted sunflower seeds and serve.