I still haven’t gotten my fill of blood oranges this season, so here’s yet another blood orange recipe. 🙂
There are few fruit seasons that I look forward to more than blood orange season. Each red speckled orb filled with jewel coloured juice is more precious than diamonds to me. I plot what I’m going to do with each fruit, separating them into piles, reserved for a particular recipe. One of the recipes I was eager to try was blood orange madeleines with pistachio and cardamom, which I’m a little obsessed with at the moment after the absolutely stunning pear, cardamom and chocolate cake I made recently.
The batter should be made ahead of baking. Resting at least 1 hour in the refrigerator, but preferably overnight, if you’re that patient. Which, truth be told, I’m not. The resulting madeleines are light, fluffy, not too sweet, and delicately spiced. They are also devilishly addictive, with 3 disappearing straight out of the oven. Serve dusted with a mixture of icing sugar and ground cardamom for a heavenly treat.
Also, I’d like to congratulate Linda C., the lucky winner of the Profiline PushPan give away. Linda, your prize is on it’s way to you.
Makes 24 madeleines.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 3 eggs
- 130g (2/3 cup) brown sugar
- 160g (1 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 50g ground pistachios
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 blood oranges
- 200g (7oz) butter, melted and cooled
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, additional, for dusting
- Zest one of the oranges and squeeze out the juice of both the oranges. This should measure around 1/3 cup. Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until thick, pale and doubled in volume, around 5 minutes.
- Combine the juice and butter and add to the egg mixture in two batches, folding through until combined. Sift in the flour and cardamom and add the ground pistachios and fold through the mixture.
- Cover and leave to rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- When you are ready to bake the madeleines, preheat the oven to 180 Celsius 350 Fahrenheit. Butter and flour a 12-shell madeleine tin and place heaped tablespoons of the batter into each mould.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer the madeleines to a wire rack to cool and wash, dry, butter and flour the tin and repeat with remaining batter. Dust with icing sugar and cardamom and serve warm.