These divine double chocolate chip cookies are orange scented and intensely chocolatey for those days you need a little treat. They also happen to be gluten-free and dairy free too!
I’ve been absent from this space much more than I’ve intended of late.
While I hate to say I’ve been busy, because I really hate that “busy” seems to have become the status quo these days, I’ve been quietly pottering away in the background on a number of things that have all required my attention.
There have been pleasurable things, such as testing new recipes and food photography assignments for clients. And the not so pleasurable, but necessary things like housework, catching up on washing and all of the other unnoticed but necessary tasks that life demands.
These Orange Scented Double Chocolate Chip Cookies though were definitely made for pleasure.
I love all things chocolate orange, which my husband does not. This usually means I don’t end up making anything chocolate orange because I if I’m going to bake something I want it to be something we can both enjoy. But last week, feeling a little frazzled, I felt in need of a little treat, and these divine gluten free cookies hit the spot perfectly.
When you bake these double chocolate chip cookies just be aware they will look as though they are not baked at the end of their cooking time. Don’t fret, this is just how they should be. Have faith, take them out of the oven and they will firm up as they cool. That is to say though that they will firm up a little. These aren’t the sort of cookies that crack and crunch. They are delicate and tender, bordering on soft but not quite.
If you have the self-restraint not to eat all of these cookies while they are warm (which, let me assure you, is a feat in and of itself) they are wonderful with a cup of tea or coffee. I also like to sneakily warm my cookie slightly before eating so that the pockets of chocolate chunks inside melt ever so slightly. You can do this either in the microwave for 10 seconds (any more and the cookie will fall apart) or, as I do, by placing a little dish over your cup of tea with the cookie inside and letting the cookie warm from the steam off your tea.
Orange scented double chocolate chip cookies
- 200 g 70% cocoa chocolate roughly chopped, 7 oz
- 50 g coconut oil 1/4 cup
- 2 large eggs
- 60 g brown sugar 1/3 cup
- 65 g white sugar 1/3 cup
- 40 g cocoa 1/3 cup, not Dutch processed
- tsp ½ bicarb soda baking soda
- 200 g 70% cocoa chocolate chopped, 7 oz
- zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius (340 Fahrenheit). Place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and melt the chocolate and coconut oil. Stir to combine and leave to cool for 5 minutes before moving onto the next step.
- Add the eggs and brown and white sugars to the bowl of an electric stand mixerfitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk until thick, light and creamy, around 5 to 7 minutes. The mixture should form thick creamy ribbons when you lift the whisk, that sit on top of the mixture for a few seconds before settling into the rest of the mixture. If it doesn't do this keep whisking.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and sift in the cocoa and baking soda. Fold through the eggs before adding the extra chopped chocolate and orange zest.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto 2 baking sheets lined with baking paper and bake for 8 minutes. Leave on the tray to a 5 minutes to firm up before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.