This moist, delicious and dairy free banana bread with honey roasted bananas is what you need to make whenever you have an excess of bananas.
Cutting into a slice of this honey roasted banana cake after it had emerged from the oven reminded me of my childhood. One of the desserts I remember eating often as a child up was banana custard. Mum would make up a batch of thick custard and top it with slices of fresh banana and nutmeg. Simple, but oh so delicious, and it was that memory that was evoked as I sliced into this Honey Roasted Banana Bread.
I think it was a combination of the the deep, almost caramelised sweetness of the honey roasted bananas along with the perky freshness of uncooked bananas that evoked so many memories of my favourite childhood dessert. Note to self, I must make banana custard soon!
I think this Honey Roasted Banana Bread is best enjoyed just warm, but it is brilliant toasted too, topped with a drizzle of honey and whipped coconut cream.
- 6 ripe bananas, peeled
- 1½ tbs honey
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 100g (1/2 cup) coconut oil (the coconut oil should be solid)
- 90g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 225g (1¾ cups) self raising flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 50g (1/2 cup) shredded coconut
- 90g (1/3 cup plus 2 tsp) coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (350 fahrenheit) and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Place 4 of the bananas on the baking tray and drizzle with the honey. Toss to combine. Grate the nutmeg over the top and roast for 30 minutes or until the tops of the bananas are golden and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- Slice the remaining bananas and line a 22cm (9 inch) x 7.5cm (3 inch) loaf tin with baking paper. Add the coconut oil and brown sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream until pale. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well before adding the roasted banana and vanilla.
- Switch off the mixer and sift in the flour and baking powder and fold through using a wooden spoon or spatula. Add the banana slices and coconut milk and fold through until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and then trim a piece of baking paper to size and place of the top of the loaf. Bake for 30 minutes at 180 celsius (350 fahrenheit) before reducing the temperature to 160 celsius (320 fahrenheit) and baking for a further 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out cleanly. Remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Enter your email and get all of the latest recipes and my FREE vegetarian pantry essentials guide.