This gorgeous mango and coconut semifreddo combines the best of elements of summer. And it also just happens to be dairy free!
A semifreddo is one of those fabulous treats. You crave icecream, but the idea of making a custard, chilling the mixture overnight and then churning seems like too much work. Enter semifreddo, which satisfies the craving, without all the effort. Trust the Italians to come up with such a delicious low effort alternative that still ticks all the boxes.
This Mango and Coconut Semifreddo ticks all the boxes for me. Dairy free – tick! Sweet, juicy sticky mango – tick! Fragrant coconut, redolent of hot summer nights – tick! And for those of you looking to reduce refined sugar in your diet it ticks the box there too!
The recipe for this mango and coconut semifreddo fabulous treat comes from the wonderful Valli Little, author of Feel Good Food (you can read my interview with Valli here) and this is a definite feel good food. It is also food that looks good too. In fact, I think this would be a wonderful dessert for our hot Australian Christmas! You’ll have everyone oohing and ahhing over all the effort you’ve gone to when really it is quite simple to put together.
Speaking of Christmas, I’m starting the gift giving early because you can win 1 of 5 copies of Valli’s gorgeous Feel Good Food.
How to Enter
There are 2 ways to enter. You can enter using one method or both to double your chances:
Leaving a comment below and tell me what your Feel Good Food is and what city you live in.
Taking a photo of your Feel Good Food, share it on Instagram tagging @deliciouseveryday, and tell me why it makes you feel good. Your entry must also include the hashtags #feelgoodfood and #deliciouseveryday.
Entries are open until Thursday, November 26. On Friday, November, 27 winners will be notified and announced on the Delicious Everyday Facebook page. Note: Competition is open to Australian residents only.
5 winners will be selected, each receiving a copy of Feel Good Food by Valli Little
Recipe from Feel Good Food by Valli Little
30 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (120g) honey
- 2 cups (500ml) coconut cream, that has been refrigerated overnight
- 1/2 cup (50g) coconut milk powder
- Pureed flesh of 2 large mangoes, plus extra mango to serve
- Toasted coconut, strawberries, raspberries and mint sprigs to serve
- Grease and line a 11cm (4 1/3 inches) by 20cm (8 inch) loaf pan with baking paper. Leave some of the baking paper overhanging so that you can remove the semifreddo once frozen.
- Place the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and 2 tbs of the honey in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until thick and creamy.
- Using a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, before gradually adding the remaining honey.
- In another bowl whisk the chilled coconut cream until slightly thickened. Gradually add the coconut milk powder and whisk until combined.
- Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the coconut cream, and mix until combined before carefully folding in the remaining egg whites followed by the egg yolk mixture. Finally, fold in the mango puree.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and cover with clingfilm and place in the freezer and freeze overnight.
- Remove the semifreddo from the freezer 5 to 10 minutes before you are ready to serve it. Turn the loaf pan upside down and remove the semifreddo and place on your serving dish. Top with toasted coconut, strawberries, raspberries and mint to serve.