During the long, hot and sticky days of summer, I crave something cold, yet substantial to eat. Salads are what I turn to, but not the bland iceberg lettuce, tomato and cucumber salads I grew up eating. I want salads that are interesting, flavourful and satisfying enough that they become a meal in and of themselves.
This Roasted Moroccan Carrot Salad with Chickpeas, fits the bill perfectly, and is a riff of one of my all time favourite salads – this Moroccan Chickpea Salad. I love the spices in this salad – sweet smoked Spanish paprika (my favourite is La Dalia Sweet Smoked Paprika, cinnamon and cumin – and as the carrots, onions and lemon roast, they fill the kitchen with the most amazing aroma.
The sweetness of the roasted carrots and onions in this salad contrast beautifully here with the tangy yoghurt and sharp mouth-puckering goodness of the pomegranate molasses. If you’ve never had pomegranate molasses before, and are a fan of zingy sharp flavours, like me, then you need to get your hands on a bottle (I recommend the Cortas brand), or make your own, which is amazingly simple to do (see this lovely recipe from The Little Loaf).
- 12 small carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped into eighths
- ½ unwaxed lemon, quartered
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- salt, to taste
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup rocket (arugula)
- ⅓ cup dates, halved and finely diced
- 1 tbs slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ cup yoghurt
- pomegranate molasses
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius and line a tray with baking paper. Place the carrots, red onion and lemon in a bowl along with the spices, olive oil, salt and garlic. Toss well to coat evenly. Spread out evenly on the baking tray and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender and slightly caramelised. Set aside to cool. When cool add the chickpeas and toss well to coat in the spiced oil.
- Place the spinach and arugula in a serving bowl or platter. Top with the carrot and chickpea mixture. Sprinkle with dates and the slivered almonds and serve with yoghurt swirled with pomegranate molasses.
Like this recipe? Want more?
Enter your email and get all of the latest recipes and my FREE vegetarian pantry essentials guide.