A simple ,delicious and easy Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe with an exotic blend of spices, topped with yoghurt, pistachios & pomegranate molasses.
Despite the fact that it’s spring, you could easily be fooled into thinking it’s summer. In our house warm days mean salads. Lots of salads, because I don’t like to just serve one salad with dinner. I like variety when it comes to salads, but there is one salad I could eat bowls and bowls of, and that is this Moroccan Chickpea Salad.
This gorgeous colourful easy Moroccan Chickpea Salad recpe is a definite favourite of mine. I first had it at my friend Amanda’s, of Lambs’ Ears and Honey, when my husband and I were in Adelaide over Christmas.
Amanda received the recipe for this Moroccan salad from a friend and tweaked it before serving it to me at a delicious summer barbeque. And I did the same thing before serving it to my brother and his family when they were visiting from Tasmania recently.
Nutty chickpeas are coated in smoky paprika, cinnamon and cumin. To this preserved lemon is added along with red onion, garlic and lemon juice and dried cranberries and olive oil. After marinating for a couple of hours the chickpeas are added to a bowl lined with baby spinach and topped with Greek yoghurt, chopped pistachios and pomegranate molasses.
It’s delicious, substantial, and I love this chickpea salad recipe so much I’ve had it for lunch most days this week! In fact, it’s even more delicious the next day when the spices have had even more time to intermingle. I hope you love it too!
Moroccan Chickpea Salad recipe
- 2 oz x 400g cans of [amazon_link id="B0040PUJ0M" target="_blank" ] chickpeas [/amazon_link] drained rinsed & strained, 14, garbanzo beans
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- cup ½ dried cranberries chopped Turkish apricots would work beautifully here too
- 1 [amazon_link id="B004AQMSV4" target="_blank" ]preserved lemon[/amazon_link] rind only, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs [amazon_link id="B0085WJOLG" target="_blank" ]sweet smoked paprika[/amazon_link]
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- cup ¼ finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup pistachios roughly chopped
- [amazon_link id="B001TZMCD8" target="_blank" ]Pomegranate Molasses[/amazon_link]
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl add the onions, garlic, cranberries, preserved lemon, spices, olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a large bowl. Toss to combine and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Line a serving bowl with the baby spinach leaves and top with the chickpeas and parsley. Top with the yoghurt, pistachios and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses.