For more recipes, and to add a little bit of deliciousness to your day, be sure to follow me on Instagram.
While this may look like a decidedly winter dish, the sharp brightness and freshness of lemon really brings this Mushroom, Lemon and Lentil Salad into summer. It’s a healthy, light and easy salad that is perfect to bring along to your next bbq or summer picnic.
Here I’ve used a mix of portobello mushrooms and button mushrooms, but you can use whatever variety of mushrooms you prefer. The mushrooms are cooked over a high heat and taken on a slightly caramelised flavour. Just be sure not to add salt to the mushrooms while cooking them as this will cause them to release water and will prevent them from caramelising.
There are plenty of ways to dress up this Mushroom, Lemon & Lentil Salad to make it your own. Why not add some crumbled feta, or even better, fry up some haloumi and place it over the top. Don’t like lentils? Try couscous, quinoa or bulgar wheat. I can attest to the deliciousness of a bulgar wheat version, which I had for lunch the other day, along with some chickpeas added to the mix for a bit of protein.
Eat smart this summer – eat mushrooms for your chance to WIN a holiday!
You know I love mushrooms, but there are even more reasons to love mushrooms this summer. Not only is eating mushrooms is insanely good for you, and not to mention super delicious, buying mushrooms could win you a fantastic trip to an exotic location overseas with the “Mushroom Miles – where would you rather be?” promotion!!
To get you in the mood for eating more mushrooms, the Power of Mushrooms is giving you the chance to share in $50,000 of holidays! The more often you buy mushrooms, the greater your chance to win!
There are 3 tiers of travel, so the more mushrooms you buy each time you go shopping, the further you could travel!
200g – $5,000 holiday
300g – $10,000 holiday
400g – $20,000 holiday
There are also 12 luxury weekend getaways and mini breaks to give away over summer.
So each time you go shopping, make sure you have at least 200g of mushrooms on your list, then head to the Power of Mushrooms website and enter your details along with your receipt for your chance to win! Good luck!
- ½ cup French Lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 300g mix of button and portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes, or more to taste
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs good quality extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup rocket (arugula)
- Begin by cooking the lentils. Place the lentils and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place a large frying pan over a high heat and add 2 tsp of olive oil. When the pan has come to heat add half the mushrooms. Leave for 1 to 2 minutes before stirring. The mushrooms should be lightly golden. Cook for a further minute before removing from the pan and repeating with the second batch. Reduce the heat to medium low and return the mushrooms to the pan and add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant, but not browned as it will taste bitter. Set aside to cool.
- Toss the lentils, mushroom and garlic together along with the lemon juice and the extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste and add the parsley and rocket just as you're serving.
More great mushroom recipes:
This post was sponsored by Australian Mushroom Growers Association. As always, all opinions are my own.
Did you like this recipe?
If so, enter your email and get all of the latest recipes for FREE and receive my FREE vegetarian pantry essentials guide.